Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergic to a herb?

(6 Posts)
Stubbed Wed 24-Jun-15 16:20:54

My daughter (22 months) came home from nursery yesterday suffering from what looked like an allergic reaction. Streaming nose and swollen eyes, no temp and otherwise ok though a bit distressed about it. Gave her some piriton and she went to bed as usual, fine this morning with much reduced swelling in her eyes. No problems so far today.

Apparently she did not come into contact with any of the animals yesterday, but they had been in the herb garden, touching smelling herbs.

What is the most likely explanation? Could she be allergic (not severely, clearly) to a herb? Which one? DH and I have no allergies

princessvikki Wed 24-Jun-15 16:31:56

My first thought was hayfever, if it was an allergy to the herbs she had touched surely she would have a rash on her hands.

Stubbed Wed 24-Jun-15 16:41:26

Apparently hayfever is very unusual in such a young child.

bananaandcustard Wed 24-Jun-15 19:39:17

hay fever can start at any age. one of my children started with it at 5 months.

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Thu 25-Jun-15 08:18:14

My ds1 is allergic to rosemary. But he itches rather that nose and eye streams. I don't know if that's typical but his face swells slightly and he feels tight in his throat and itchy inside. Or at least that's how he describes it. It sounds ax though the herb garden may well have had other plants there and it's more like my hayfever. Also, crucially, DS isn't allergic through touch, only when he ingests it.

ppolly Wed 01-Jul-15 14:05:29

yes, she can be allergic to a herb. I have friend who can't go anywhere near lavender as it sets off quite a severe allergic reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now