Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is he getting enough milk being BF??

(4 Posts)
MumOfOne14 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:15:08

Hi my 7 month old DS is on lumpy solids now & is loving it!! My only problem is that he may not be taking enough breast milk, I feel like apart from his night feed, I have to prompt him to feed & then it's not usually for long! I am planning on FF him next month so I can go back to work, but wondering if maybe I should wean him off the boob sooner?? Or am I just panicking !!

BanKimoon Wed 17-Jun-15 14:02:04

I don't think anyone on the internet can give you a definitive answer but I'd be inclined to think you're just panicking. Some babies take better to solids than others and some leave bf behind quicker than others. Around 6 months babies are massively efficient feeders and often only need to nurse for 5 mins or so anyway to fill their tummies. Keep an eye out for plenty of wet and dirty nappies - always a good sign enough is going in and maybe talk to the HV if you're still concerned but as long as he's happy I'd go with the flow!

MumOfOne14 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:03:48

Ah ok, thanks so much for replying! He does do plenty of wees, didn't even think of that!! Ye just panicking I suppose. smile

kathyruf Wed 17-Jun-15 14:05:53

Hey there,

Please don't worry. Babies naturally want less milk as they wean. Unless your boy seems unwell there is nothing to worry about. For my two children they both breastfed until 11 months -or 1 year, but once having three meals a day, I think I only gave them boob first and last thing, which fitted in lovely with going to work, etc. There's a lot of stress around milk, food, how much, what type, weight gain (too much/not enough), etc these days. I don't know what happened to the phrase "Mother knows best"?! Anyway, keep doing the fantastic job that you are doing. Sorry, I don't know what FF is, but I'm sure it's fine! Just out of interest, what sort of work are you looking to go back to? Kathy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now