Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about dd being too tall

(15 Posts)
ThatsMyToblerone Sat 13-Jun-15 18:42:19

Hiya all.

My dd has always been tall for her age. She was a long baby and has continued to sprout in vast amounts over the past 8 years. She's just celebrated her 8th birthday and is now measuring 141cms tall and is wearing size 5 shoes.

Bit of background - I am 5f10, my husband is 6ft4 and we come from families with extremely tall people in. I have a male cousin who is 6ft8 and a female cousin who is 6ft1.

My worry for my dd, is that she will be over 6 foot. I know from my family members that being super tall raises many issues.

My mum is urging me to get her booked in to the doctor to get her referred to a growth clinic but I'm hesitating for these reasons: 1, I don't want dd to think she has a problem and 2, if she is looking like she will be very tall how do they rectify this?? Not keen with meddling with nature!

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue?

Thank you,
xxx

mamapants Sat 13-Jun-15 18:44:02

What issues does it raise?

Madlizzy Sat 13-Jun-15 18:44:13

I would think that genetics are doing their thing here. Each generation of children seem to be taller than the last (apart from my lot wink). I very much doubt the doctor would agree to a referral as, like you say, she doesn't have a problem.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 13-Jun-15 18:45:06

I'm 6ft. Being tall is great.

paxtecum Sat 13-Jun-15 18:47:20

Goodness, the idea of giving her something to restrict her growth is crazy.
That's what the Soviets did to the likes of Olga Korbut in the 70s.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 13-Jun-15 18:47:26

Can you remember, or find out, how tall you were at different points of childhood?

emummy Sat 13-Jun-15 19:01:50

Dd2 was 145cm at 8, she's now 10 and 158. Never occurred to me to worry, probably coz I am 6ft1, her dad is 6ft and my brothers are tall. I don't think being tall is a big deal now, clothes are better and I see a lot of younger women who are as tall as me, whereas when I was young I definitely stood out. Also, she may stop growing. My mum was tallest in her class till she stopped growing at 14 and 5ft4 she has been ever since! If you are very worried talk to your GP but I'm not sure how much they will do or if there are criteria for intervention. It may be they will wait a while to see. I agree that being 6ft8 would raise issues but I don't think 6ft 1 is super tall! I hope your dd enjoys being tall, I wasn't sure when I was younger but now I love it!

ThatsMyToblerone Sat 13-Jun-15 19:02:18

Just been googling and apparently growth restricting hormones, which I would never agree to anyway, were used between 1950 and 1990 for parents who were concerned their daughter might not find a suitable husband!!?? Bless my Mum for being behind the times.

6 foot is a great hight, I was just a bit worried about her being way over this height. Some of my family members have had health issues due to their height and I'm just a bit concerned.

I was always very average height, then shot up when I hit puberty, as did my husband.

emummy Sun 14-Jun-15 07:38:53

I vaguely remember hearing a few years ago about girls in Norway getting something because they were growing to well over 6ft but I don't think it's common practice in this country. I think children are generally taller now so maybe the idea of a normal height will gradually change. Dd1 is taller than her gran at the age of 12 but she is roughly the same height as most of her friends whereas I was head and shoulders over mine! I think the main thing is to keep our dds' confident and happy about themselves, including their height. My mum worried about my height too, think she's more relaxed now and acts as though she did something amazing to produce a tall daughter!

Christelle2207 Sun 14-Jun-15 08:13:16

I'm nearly 6ft and don't mind being .
I have found it a pain finding trousers that fit but the situation is slowly improving.
The other thing that has bothered me slightly is that I wanted a partner taller than me which restricted my options somewhat ! Shallow I know.
I eventually found one though I'm taller than him in heels.

It's never occurred to me though to wish I was shorter.

StrawberrytallCake Sun 14-Jun-15 08:16:11

biscuit

Baddz Sun 14-Jun-15 08:18:04

God, I'd love to be tall!
Being 5 foot 4 is a pain tbh. Clothes can be an issue as I am not classed as petite but not classed as normal either!
My 12 year olds feet are bigger than mine!
She will be fine.
No need for the Dr.

Rivercam Sun 14-Jun-15 08:18:28

Fortunately, shops like Long Tall Sally cater for tall people, plus high street shops often have tall ranges now. I think the main problem you will have is people assuming she is older than she is ( I have a 6 foot plus 15 year old, who people think is 3 years older than he is).

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 14-Jun-15 12:41:06

You are 5ft 10", her dad is 6ft 4", no real surprise your DD is gaining height! Added to which, no doubt a good diet and plenty of sleep and active life.

I hope she can embrace her size.

Apart from discomfort sitting in a plane I can't think of many negatives about being tall.

Not everyone fits into the average height zone (or average anything else either).

brimfullofasha Sun 14-Jun-15 12:58:46

I am tall (5'11") and was a skinny lanky pre-teen, much taller than all of my friends. My mum mentioned it to our GP who suggested I could go on the pill. I was really upset when she told me - it was like she was saying there was something wrong with me. I like being tall now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now