Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Weird rash,poorly DS - help me diagnose please.

(10 Posts)
shockedballoon Sat 13-Jun-15 14:15:00

DS is 5.
On Thurs he said he had a headache at school pick up. Woke that night crying as his throat was so sore,was coughing like a honking seal and had a temp of 38.

Kept him off school friday - he was v tired with swollen tonsils (no pus,just red),headache,sore eyes and low level temp (37.5-38.2) no appetite (half a banana a a few ice pops). Presumed viral tonsillitis at this stage.

Threw up at 7am this morning - no voms since. Similar symptoms today but throat not as sore and appetite better (had egg in a cup with 2 eggs and soft white bread and some watermelon - and half a sausage from my brunch).

However now he's erupted in a bizarre rash. He has form for post viral rashes,but this is more extensive and weird. He looks sunburnt and there's spots all over his body with clusters round his knees and shoulders. Have attached pics.

I'm not massively worried it doesn't seem too serious , but I'm just wondering about school - if it's anything that could be contagious /bad for babies /pregnant women, as a fair few of his classmates have the aforementioned in their families.

So what the jeff is it and should he go back on Mon?

Baddz Sat 13-Jun-15 15:45:04

Scarlet fever?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Jun-15 15:49:43

Slapped cheek.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Jun-15 15:51:34

Meant to have a ? There as im not sure but it's a possibility.

shockedballoon Sat 13-Jun-15 18:24:19

Ooo - thanks! I hadn't thought of those. Had been thinking maybe hand foot and mouth or measles ( daft i know, given he's had mmr ) but didn't really fit with either.

Googled both - reckon it fits better with slapped cheek, doesn't seem poorly enough for scarlet fever and the rash isn't as bad as sf pics I saw. Def looks sunburnt which fits with slapped cheek (another pic which shows it better ). He's just eaten a relatively large bowl of pasta so def on the mend - reckon he should be fine for school on Mon smile

Tomuchcake Sat 13-Jun-15 23:36:49

Check incubation periods.

He needs to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis.

DeeWe Sat 13-Jun-15 23:59:09

Slapped cheek looks just like sunburn. I'd reckon on that.
If it is, then it is dangerous for pregnant women especially in the 2nd tremestre-however most adults have had it and so are immune.

However it could be a viral rash.
Ds has a tendency for viral rashes and they've come in all sorts of varieties, including one that you could watch coming out and totally covered him by the end.

If you're worried then you can get A&E to do a blood test. Ds's viral rashes tend not to fade under glass so we've been sent to A&E by the GP numberous times to make sure.

shockedballoon Sun 14-Jun-15 11:08:33

I pretty convinced it's slapped cheek - he fits really well with all the symptoms I found on here :
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Slapped-cheek-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Only difference is there didn't seem to be a wait between the feeling rubbish and the rash appearing. He's woken up with the rash changed somewhat so that it's all over his body and fits perfectly with the following :
"light pink rash usually appears on your child’s chest, stomach, arms and thighs. This rash often has a raised, lace-like appearance and may cause discomfort and itching."
He had a mega sleep in this morning (huzzah! grin ) and is now jumping all over DH after eating a huge 3 course breakfast.
Said on nhs website that he's not infectious so school it is.
Thanks for diagnosis help smile obvs would've gone to gp if doubts left,but I think it's pretty conclusive.

shockedballoon Sun 14-Jun-15 11:11:05

Latest rash picture -
Raised
Lace like
pale pink
over body and arms - all tick!

DeeWe Sun 14-Jun-15 12:28:42

Mine didn't feel ill with slapped cheek at all.
Child I nannied, the rash came on very quickly after her temperature came up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now