Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Knee injury in dd 14 Help!!

(5 Posts)
lexcat Sat 06-Jun-15 10:35:32

Dd friend kicked dd when messing around, dd foot was a against a chair so leg couldn't move and the knee bent at a strange angle. Dd felt a pop in the knee and fell to the ground. Managed to with help of friends to get to the end of the school day, this was Thusday afernoon. Struggled for the rest of the evening went to bed after some pain killers and got to sleep. Woke up yesterday pain was worse a bit of swelling. Stairs were the big problem as high school is over 3 floors decided to keep dd at home. Applied RICE (rest ice compresion elevation) for the day plus some gentle movement.
Woke this morning still in a lot of pain can't strighten or bent much without pain, can bear weight if the knee is at a slight bend otherwise pain.

sherbertlemon17 Sat 06-Jun-15 10:47:19

Hi lexcat, I've suffered with knee injuries since the age of 17 so can completely sympathise...

As your dd is still in pain and can't straighten it (I'm guessing this is because it's swollen or there's something 'catching on the inside'), I would take her to a minor injuries clinic or make an appointment to see your gp. The other option is to take her to A&E, but they can be quick to fob you off. Each time I've injured my knee, they've wanted to do an MRI, because it's hard to know what's going on inside there (lots of different ligaments, cartilage etc) and you will need to be referred to the hospital for this to happen.

Hope she feels better soon flowers

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 06-Jun-15 11:54:24

I would get her seen today...minor injuries or children's A&E?

lexcat Sat 06-Jun-15 13:21:21

Thanks she happy hobbling now as long as she doesn't move it to much. Doing some painting while helping to sort things out 35 years of junk before we have to move from my family home.
Putting off going to A&E as the local one is very small and rubbish and main one 11-12 miles away is even worse have sat their for over 3 hrs before and been fob off and ended up at the GP come the working week.

Tomuchcake Thu 11-Jun-15 00:55:11

A walked around on a broken knee for a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now