Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could this be the pox?

(7 Posts)
Coffeemonster1 Mon 18-May-15 09:54:17

DD was exposed to chicken pox at nursery 12 days ago. For the last 2/3 days she has been snotty, emotional and tired and very unsettled at night, waking up crying and needing cuddles etc 3/4 times which isn't like her.
She has one random spot on her chin that looks like it's got a blister on and one that looks stabbed on her chest although this could be a normal spot or scratch as its so tiny and looks different to this one on her chin.
Could this be the start of CP or would the spots have appeared by now after 12 days?

Molotov Mon 18-May-15 10:08:41

Could well be the start. I think up to 21 days is the incubation period for CP.

The spots will rapidly show within the next 24 hours if it is CP.

Lots of cuddles, calpol, piriton syrup and calamine lotion helped my dds when they had it.

Lolimax Mon 18-May-15 10:16:26

Probably! I came home with one spot which my DM the nurse squeezed. 40 years later I still have the pock mark. I wouldn't have minded but half the class had already gone down with it! Good luck make sure you're armed and dangerous with calpol and wine (for you obviously!) xx

Coffeemonster1 Mon 18-May-15 12:30:27

I just feel if it was going to be pox, the spots would just all appear very quickly and nothing seems to be happening. Well, she is in nursery so was expecting a call saying she is unwell or spotty but nothing so far. It's been round 3 times now and she still hasn't caught it (it may not have been in her room each time) but can't just keep her at home just incase. DH hasn't had it and someone I know had it as an adult and so really very ill with it so want DD to get it over and done with ASAP.

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 18-May-15 12:40:12

I would think chicken pox too, Ds woke up with what I thought was a bite. When he came home from school there was just another one. The next day a few more and then they appeared everywhere in his hair, up his bum, in his ears, you name it they were there. I'd pop in Sainsburys today and get the gel just so that you're prepared. I was lucky because he was not poorly just irritated by the spots and like you I'm glad he got them out of the way.

Molotov Mon 18-May-15 14:04:47

Dd1 was 4.10yo when she had it. It had been going around her class from September: she came down with it on Boxing Day. I was amazed she'd held out for so long! And yes, you can't keep her off 'just in case'. Only when thr spots appear can you be sure.

Dd1 wasn't herself on Christmas Day, then when I bathed her on Boxing Day morning, I noticed a couple of spots on her back. They were so tiny, I thought nothing of them. Then, she was very off throughout the day and napped in the afternoon. It was then that I noticed that they were on her face, and the first tiny spots looked like blisters by that point.

My dd wasn't especially poorly, but I was surprised by where the spots appeared: her inner eyelid, her vagina (weeing was very uncomfortable for a few days sad ) and inside her mouth.

Dd2 was 20mo when she had it and was less poorly, although one spot became infected in her nappy area, which needed antibiotic cream (Fucidin) to clear.

I agree that it's better to have it over and done with.

Coffeemonster1 Mon 18-May-15 16:41:13

Well nursery haven't called so I assume it's nothing but a cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now