Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby ear infection - alternatives to antibiotics?

(14 Posts)
nanoo Sun 17-May-15 08:27:37

Hi, DD2 (11 months) was diagnosed with an ear infection by our GP last week following 3 days of raging temperature. We tried amoxicillin, but her body came out in a rash after a couple of days so have been advised not to continue. Her temp is normal now, but she's really cranky and shakes her head, puts her hand around it, as though something is hurting. She's been crying throughout the night for 5 nights now - so is probably shattered too! If it is an ear infection (which I'm starting to doubt, but that could be just be me being irrational with all the sleep deprivation!) what can I do to help her? Thanks so much.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 17-May-15 08:49:31

I'd be back at GP asking for another antibiotic. I'm allergic to penicillin so ds gets another type as I've had a reaction giving it to him in the past.

ItsADinosaur Sun 17-May-15 09:15:52

Get an alternative, why on earth were you not given one if you were advised not to continue? There are alternatives to amoxicillin as it's penicillin based.

lucyjordon Sun 17-May-15 09:17:32

Go back to doctors - there are plenty of alternatives to penicillin if you are allergic. IMO there is no alternative to antibiotics in an ear infection, they are excruciating. You must do OOH now.

PacificDogwood Sun 17-May-15 09:19:24

Give regular Ibuprofen for the discomfort.

Get her seen again - if there is ongoing infection (not just congestion) she could have Erythromycin as an alternative.

NICE recommendations

nanoo Sun 17-May-15 09:49:11

Thanks so much. I was hoping to avoid any more antibiotics - although I see your point lucyjordon if it's excruciating (although she's not screaming with pain, just cranky). Aren't there any home remedies that would at least ease the pain and help her to sleep and be calmer? A friend mentioned onion treatment??! Thanks so much.

PacificDogwood Sun 17-May-15 10:10:06

If she is grumpy now, she's more likely to be in excruciating pain over night when she lies down.

Get her checked out again - infections change with time.

There's plenty of advice on home remedies online - all the reputable sites state 'use for minor ear ache only' or 'seek medical advice if in any doubt'.

Otitis media in children

ItsADinosaur Sun 17-May-15 10:21:15

Keep giving calpol and nurofen if she's in pain. A warm towel to the ear can help. But please get her seen again and get proper treatment.

girliefriend Sun 17-May-15 16:48:51

You really don't want to avoid antibiotics for ear infections (think about how close your ears are to your brain) please go back to the Dr asap.

Regular pain relief (alternate calpol and nurofen)

Stevie77 Sun 17-May-15 16:55:05

Please take her back to the Dr ASAP and in the meantime give her Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. Ear infections need dealing with because if left can cause permanent hearing damage.

nanoo Sun 17-May-15 20:55:10

Thanks so much all of you - I have no experience of ear infections (3 children and this is the first I've ever had to deal with!), so I really appreciate your help. I'll definitely be in the queue for the GP in the morning....

ItsADinosaur Mon 18-May-15 16:01:25

Did you get to the GP?

nanoo Mon 18-May-15 21:32:29

Thanks ItsaDinasaur, I did get to the GP. In the meantime DD2 got heaps better - not quite back to her old self, but no temp, no pulling at her ears and shaking her head. So I guess (as did the GP) the 2.5 days on amoxicillin might have killed the bug - or she just fought it off herself. Either way I'm so relieved. Big thank you to everyone for all the help and advice x

shewolfroar Mon 18-May-15 21:35:18

you could find a local homeopath

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now