Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS really bratty when sick

(11 Posts)
KanyesVest Tue 12-May-15 22:15:06

I think this is probably reasonably normal, but it's never happened with DD, so I wanted to ask...

DS is 2.10 and generally a fairly well behaved, slightly bonkers little boy. But when he's sick, not even very sick, even just a cold, he turns into a complete monster. He's got a cold right now, nothing serious or sinister, but for the last 3 days he's not listening to anyone (tells me his "listening ears are boken"), spitting, calling me names he knows aren't allowed (poo head, etc), lashing out, etc. I was talking to his nursery teacher about it and we've figured out that it's when he's sick (he's had a bad run of minor ailments/viruses in the last few months) he behaviour turns for the worse. He will wake up in a couple of days and his normal personality will return like a switch has been flipped. I don't want to be too hard on him when he's under the weather so we're going for ignoring bad, praising good behaviour, but is this type of change normal?

LynetteScavo Tue 12-May-15 22:35:44

I'm not sure if it's normal, but one if my DC was horrendous at this age when he had a growth spurt.

KanyesVest Tue 12-May-15 23:22:59

Yup, recent growth spurt too! He's a divil at bedtime the last week too, so tiredness isn't helping...I just found him sound asleep in bed with his shoes on, his favourite book beside him and half his train track tucked under his duvet!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 12-May-15 23:29:21

Ds is still like this at 14! In fact that's how I know he's sickening for something when he turns into a rude child I barely recognise for a day or two before he gets a child or bug.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 12-May-15 23:29:57

COLD not child

KanyesVest Wed 13-May-15 10:41:34

Fourteen???? It's going to be a long few years so confused

RiskManagement Wed 13-May-15 10:56:57

TBH I'm quite unpleasant when I don't feel well....

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 13-May-15 12:47:50

Ha ha there will be plants of unpleasantness over the years , better get used to it wink

I'm ratty as all hell too when I'm feeling poorly.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 13-May-15 13:05:19

PLENTY not plants, auto correctgrin

drycoughssuck Wed 13-May-15 13:55:49

DS is a total PITA most the time but quite easy & pleasant when ill.

KanyesVest Wed 13-May-15 18:17:15

I think.I'm coming down with whatever DS has...I'm so incredibly tempted to call everyone I see a poo head and throw things around the room in a temper, so maybe he's on to something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now