Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Shellfish allergy?

(6 Posts)
measles64 Mon 27-Apr-15 20:18:09

My son aged 13 loves shellfish but said he thought mussels no longer agreed with him. Last night we went out for dinner he had a huge dish of tiger prawns. I noticed his lips were bright red but thought nothing of it. Then he said can we go home. Before I paid the bill he shot off. Hubby found him in the loo, he had to go again before we could leave. Five minute drive home and he was back in the loo. He had an awful upset stomach. He then went to bed and slept. Could he be allergic to shellfish?

Walkingonsunshine00 Mon 27-Apr-15 20:25:43

Maybe more an intolerance but I'm no way an expert

BarbarianMum Wed 29-Apr-15 23:02:05

Yes he could. Probably best to check it out as this type of allergy can escalate rapidly (though not necessarily, mine never has).

BarbarianMum Wed 29-Apr-15 23:03:41

Oh and my symptoms are gastric and it is most definitely not an intolerance.

babybarrister Wed 29-Apr-15 23:08:51

please come over to the allergy boards which are very active indeed - your son needs to be tested - the GP can make a referral.lips swelling is a sign of an allergy not an intolerance - have a look at the information on the Anaphylaxis Campaign website

also have a look at the NICE guidelines on when GPs should make such a referral if you are having difficulties

in the meantime he should be avoiding fish and shellfish which unfortunately are allergies that typically develop later in life

TeddyCan1 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:05:39

He may be allergic to shellfish. Is there any history of shellfish allergy in your family? He may be, however, allergic to prawns but not to other shellfishes. You eliminate prawns for the time being and give him a small quantity of any other shellfish to check. However, you must get him tested for an allergy test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now