Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Amber teething jewellery

(7 Posts)
ChantelD93 Tue 14-Oct-14 20:56:25

I'd like to know peoples opinions on amber teething accessories, I love the idea of not having to rely on medicines to sooth DS during his teething process.
Do they work?
Would you recommend?
How do you tell a fake for the genuine? I really don't like the idea of being conned as they're pretty expensive!

madwifelou Tue 14-Oct-14 22:01:23

I used one with DS and it definitely worked (worked for me for my arthritis too). It has to be Baltic amber to be any use. Due to (imaginary) health and safety issues a lot of companies had to stop selling them for babies (many have warnings now not to use for under 36 months - as do sunglasses for babies in Boots!).

I got mine from www.amberpumpkin.com/ - their baby necklaces are in the £13-17 range, and they also do bracelets (which can be put on an ankle under babygro if you're worried about necklaces)

Letthemtalk Tue 14-Oct-14 22:03:16

Madwife, what exactly do you think they do???? Load of utter utter bollocks if you ask me.

Guarana88 Fri 22-Jul-16 07:35:44

I have one amber necklace for my youngest I've had it since he was an infant and it is by far the best money I ever spent. My son would scream his gums would swell and bleed when he was teething so I figured I'd try the necklace bcuz what could it hurt at that point. He is three now STILL wears that necklace and I have had zero issues with teething since about a week after I bought it. I haven't even known he was teething till I spotted the tooth coming in.

Fortybingowings Sat 23-Jul-16 15:45:13

Utter bollocks and a choking risk.
I used calpol and bonjela.

milpool Sun 24-Jul-16 11:09:50

No proof at all that they actually do anything other than perhaps have a placebo effect.

NotCitrus Sun 24-Jul-16 12:17:28

Chokable-size beads on a string that may break or twist and get stuck round the baby's neck or limb is hardly an imaginary problem, though quality necklaces should be fine.

Sod all evidence they do anything except be a pretty chew toy though. I found small peeled carrots kept in the fridge worked well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now