Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing and Coughing

(16 Posts)
RuckAndRoll Mon 11-Aug-14 11:24:22

DS is just 1yo and has had a persistent cough since he had brociolitis back in March. It comes and goes but 9/10 nights he's coughing and rasping in his sleep and waking himself up.

GP has put him on 2 inhalers. One is salbutamol and the other I think called Atrovent. It's been a week and we can see no improvement, infact we think he may be slightly worse.

However, he had his 1year immunisations the same day we started the inhalers. How long would you recommend leaving it before going back to the drs if he's not improving? I'm aware the jabs can make them a bit more run down and it could be that interfering with things.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Aug-14 11:30:27

I'd take him back now tbh.

Dd had bronchiolitis twice as a baby but didn't have a lingering cough that long.

It's possible he still has a bug/virus/ chest infection and may need antibiotics or sadly is showing signs of asthma although whether a dr will diagnose this earky I don't know.

Either way, I think he needs to go back and get this under control.

Poor Ds sad

RuckAndRoll Mon 11-Aug-14 11:36:21

We had 2 weeks of antibiotics before the inhalers were started.

He also has reflux and is intollerant to cows milk protein and soya. I was wondering if it's more allergies coming through.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Aug-14 11:39:38

It's possible.

So is asthma, sad

Definately get him seen. Not sure of they give pred at this age or not.

RuckAndRoll Mon 11-Aug-14 11:54:11

Thanks. I'll phone the drs and see when they can fit him in. There is asthma in the family so it's possible. I was sat in his room for an hour last night listening to him cough, gag and rasp in his sleep.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Aug-14 12:03:47

D you prop him up to sleep? Try raising the end of his cot or mattress. Lying flat is the worst thing fir a bad chest.

If you suspect allergies, make a note of what he eats (and you if breast feeding)

Does he have eczema ?

Cakecrumbsinmybra Mon 11-Aug-14 12:09:26

It is so distressing isn't it? DS1 is 7 now and his chest has often been a problem. It has been fine for quite a while now, but for the last 2 months he has a cough that will not go away and his inhalers are not improving the situation either. He too had a chest infection, back in May. I'm contacting a consultant this week for allergies/ezcema/asthma (he has several allergies too). Sometimes post viral coughs can go on for months though, so I wouldn't get too worried just yet. When DS1 was 1-2, he had chest xrays and many other tests to check everything out and they couldn't find anything other than a few allergies.

A friend of mine has a DD who has just been given a green inhaler and it has changed her life, so I am looking into this. Good luck.

RuckAndRoll Mon 11-Aug-14 12:59:59

Giles propping him up would never work! He likes to sleep in every bit of his cot, on his front, back, upside down, bum in the air. He would stay propped up for about half an hour then probably end up upside down!

He is already on such a restricted diet I really hope it's not allergies. He mainly has plain meat, fish, veg and fruit.

I've made an appointment for tomorrow for him so we'll see what they say.

Cakes it's horrible to watch, he already had surgery on his stomach at 4 weeks old, reflux and eating problems since, we just get that under control and his chest kicks off.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Aug-14 13:06:13

Good luck tomorrow. Might e worth asking about vitamin drops if his diet is restricted alot.

Depending on what they say maybe a dietitian would be worth a shot with regard to finding out if there are other allergies.

Does he get hayfever, have you tried piriton, there is one suitable for a year being snuffly could mean hayfever too along side everything else.

RuckAndRoll Mon 11-Aug-14 13:15:19

already on the waiting list to see a dietician. have been since march! also has vitamins drops.

RuckAndRoll Thu 14-Aug-14 12:39:12

So we saw the GP, she's referred us back to the paediatrician, she expects for a chest xray at least.

Problem is about 4am this morning he did his usual coughing in sleep, I went through to him and he was really struggling. I had to lift him for a cuddle, I think he scared himself a lot. It took ages to calm him down.

I'm tempted to move his cot back into our room as I just won't settle at night now knowing how much he struggles.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 14-Aug-14 12:45:49

I'd film it too. So they can get a true picture.

RuckAndRoll Thu 14-Aug-14 12:54:00

Yeah I'm going to ask DH to set up the web camera and laptop by his cot, by the time I've heard the cough, got through to his room and checked he's ok I've not really got time to get the phone/camera out before he inevitably stops. And I really don't fancy sitting in his room all night with camera at the ready waiting for him to start.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 14-Aug-14 12:57:04

I hope you get somewhere with the X-ray thanks

I have an asthmatic dd and dd2 was really ill with bronchiolitis as a baby too so I know how scary it can be

RuckAndRoll Thu 14-Aug-14 13:41:09

Thanks. My head is racing with all the things it could be, I just needed to write stuff down as DH is very practical and not showing any worry at all.

I have PND and anxiety issues which make it worse.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 14-Aug-14 13:51:29

Whatever it is, there's a good chance that it will be manageable/treatable.

You just need to remember that this is nothing you have done, nothing you could have prevented and you have done the next you can with what you have!

If it's asthma, well that's not good BUT can be managed and depending on severity it can be grown out of or managed fairly well. There's every chance that your child could live with minimal flare ups and not be held back by it at all, many athletes live with it. Allergies, well once diagnosed can be dealt with too and could well be reduced in severity or grown out of once older and your dietitian can help you with meal ideas etc. An of course there's MN for advice and suggestions there are a few very knowledgeable parents of kids with multiple allergies.

I'm sure your dh is worried, just dealing with it in a different way.

Don't run off with anything just yet, just wait until you get results through. If your not happy with your drs request another one. Writing it all down is a good idea, and hopefully the filming will provide a good insight that the drs can't dismiss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now