Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long to wait until taking toddler to GP for constipation

(5 Posts)
PickledLily Wed 09-Jul-14 13:39:23

DD has been trying to poo for 4 or 5 days now, and is starting to get uncomfortable with it. We've tried OJ, water, lots of fruit etc, but no luck. Is there anything I can give her from the chemist, or do I need to see the GP? And how long would you wait until taking her to the GP? Reluctant to go until absolutely necessary as it's such a rigmarole getting an appointment, let alone getting to the GP.

crochetcircle Wed 09-Jul-14 15:21:22

Doesn't the gp do phone consultations for children on the same day? That's what ours does.

I contacted our gp after a few days (dd1 was 2.10), and we were prescribed movicol. The doc said its good to act early with toddlers so they don't get a bad association with pooing.

PickledLily Wed 09-Jul-14 15:27:43

Ok, that's good to know. I'll contact the GP this afternoon. They do do phone appointments but you have to battle with the receptionist for over 2s. sad

momofmonster Wed 09-Jul-14 15:47:08

When my ds had constipation i just went to the pharmacy and spoke to the pharmicist. he gave me some fig syrup laxative type stuff - worked a little too well (note to self in future cover everywhere in plastic sheeting)

PickledLily Fri 11-Jul-14 06:59:10

smile Well the power of mumsnet has worked again; merely posting on here and the problem has miraculously solved itself. Didn't quite need plastic sheeting but it wasn't far off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now