Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

12 yr old frequent periods - GP, or OK to wait a while?

(3 Posts)
Hamuketsu Tue 08-Jul-14 13:26:21

Dd2 started her periods 4-5 months ago. She's had a few since then, more frequently than we'd been expecting. I've been keeping track and she started one today, on day 17. That's her shortest gap so far - the last one was on day 23, and the one before that on day 20.

I thought the day 20 one was too short already, so day 17 has me a bit concerned. I have no experience of very frequent periods in a "new starter" - my own were bang on 28 days right from the start, and her older sister, at 15, is only recently starting to get one a month, after a few years of 3-4 months between periods.

I've bought her an iron supplement in case the blood loss might make her anaemic. She doesn't get period pain, which is a huge relief as dd1's are crippling. Hormones/moods all over the place but at 12 that's to be expected. I wondered whether periods this frequent are normal in the early months? She doesn't want to go to the GP as she's terrified of needles/blood tests, although obviously I'll take her if/when really needed.

Showy Tue 08-Jul-14 13:31:35

Dr Google suggests it's normal but no reason not to get it checked for peace of mind.

Hamuketsu Tue 08-Jul-14 13:33:35

Thanks, Showy. I try to avoid Dr Googling myself due to health anxiety, so it's reassuring to be told he reckons it's normal smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now