Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox - DS not sleeping

(3 Posts)
mandbaby Tue 08-Jul-14 09:46:07

Both my boys (4.8 and 3) have contracted chicken pox. DS2's have almost cleared up within a matter of days but DS1 is covered and shows no signs of improving in the near future. In the last 48 hours, I bet he's had no more than 5 hours sleep (same for me).

He's been prescribed anti-histamine by the doctor and we're covering him in an anti-itch lotion given to us by the pharmacist (who told me calomine lotion was proven to not work).

Any more tips for keeping him comfortable at night? Holding down a part-time job, being 29 weeks pregnant, and looking after two pre-schoolers is hard enough without getting only 2-3 hours sleep a night sad

Seeline Tue 08-Jul-14 09:59:52

My DD got a few hours relief by having cool baths with bicarb in. Try that before bed maybe? I have heard that putting some oats in an old sock and running the bathwater through that also has a soothing effect but have no personal experience.
Also try and keep him cool at night - maybe just a sheet rather than a duvet.
The anti-histamine should help - try and make sure that he has enough doses to keep the protection through the night.
Calamine lotion is the work of the devil - it is so drying and makes normal skin itchy.

mandbaby Tue 08-Jul-14 10:10:54

Yes, he had a bath last night with bicarb in. I may try the old sock/porridge oats method tonight - I know this works for other dry skin as we used to do it when DS1 was a baby and had mild eczema.

My mum swears by calomine lotion and I keep telling her that everyone is warning me off it, but she's adamant it's the only thing that will work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now