Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is 113cm in height worryingly small for a 5yr old ?

(30 Posts)
Pancakeflipper Tue 17-Jun-14 12:43:20

DS was seeing his consultant today at hospital. Our GP had wrote an update letter regarding DS.

3 issues in the letter from GP - and 1 issue was DS "is worryingly small for his height. "

The nurse always weighs/measures when we see the consultant. Today he is 113cm.

I have never thought to worry about his height..... he looks average to me.

Still bemused by this and I cannot find that bloody book with the centile in it.

Percephone Tue 17-Jun-14 21:22:28

I wouldn't worry too much if he looks healthy and is eating well. Some children are just slim! My baby's weight is 25th centile and his head is 91st. We all have big heads blush

tobysmum77 Tue 17-Jun-14 21:51:40

his weight sounds fine to me, on the slim side but fine. dd is a couple of cm shorter but under 18kg and I think she's about 25th centile bmi do I don't 113 and 18kg is underweight. I think the doctor is bonkers, God knows what he's on about.

tobysmum77 Tue 17-Jun-14 21:54:07

according to the nhs calculator he is 9th centile bmi so perfectly healthy weight.

movicolforimpaction Sat 21-Jun-14 21:16:47

9th centile for weight and 91st for height is a large disparity as you would be expected to be on a similar centile or just one or two different. It also depends what he was at the hospital to see the consultant about for example if he was being assessed for coeliac or similar then this disparity would be very significant.

tobysmum77 Sat 21-Jun-14 21:50:25

its 9th centile for bmi not weight. children are meant to be between 2nd and 91st according to the nhs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now