Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Sunken fontelle

(3 Posts)
IndiaBound Mon 16-Jun-14 06:44:22

Hi all,

Our newborn is now 2 months old and apart from a few hours every afternoon/early evening, the joy of our lives!

I have noticed all along that the fontelle on the top of her head is sunken - today (as it was a hot night and the hair she has is stuck to her head) I can see it very easily. Can also see a pulse under it.

Is this normal or something to be concerned about?

Best wishes

Graham

MyNameIsSuz Mon 16-Jun-14 07:04:16

I think that's usually a sign of dehydration isn't it? As it's hot, make sure she's getting enough to drink, so more feeds than usual or a little cooled boiled water if that won't work. I'd try that then check with the doctor if it doesn't work.

Oh, and the pulse thing I don't think is anything to worry about, I know plenty of babies who always had a pulse there!

MsBumble Mon 16-Jun-14 07:37:27

A children's doctor at A&E once advised me on this issue, by telling me that a sunken fontanelle alone is not a sign of dehydration unless it is accompanied by other symptoms, for example:

- Fewer wet nappies
- Strong smelling or dark urine
- Listlessness
- Sunken eyes
- Tearless crying

All three of mine sometimes had a sunken fontanelle, at other times it bulged and did the whole throbbing thing. But of course if you are worried consult a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now