Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Will her teeth stay like this?

(7 Posts)
olivo Mon 09-Jun-14 20:19:01

Dd is nearly 8 and her adult top. Idle teeth are coming in. One is about two thirds through, the other half way down but they are very crooked, pointing in a v shape away from her lips, IYSWIM. I know no one can predict, but is there a chance they will straighten up without treatment?

olivo Thu 12-Jun-14 20:49:05

Bump.

Passthebiscuitsvicor Sun 15-Jun-14 17:48:13

Hi there
I'm a dentist and I see this a lot.they can shuffle around in the gum for the next few years.
Teeth do tend to drift forwards though so if they are crowded already I'd say it sounds like she'd need orthodontic treatment in the future

olivo Sun 15-Jun-14 18:09:02

Thank you pass. They do seem big, but the ones on either side are not growing down yet so not actually overcrowded. As yet. I had to have 4 premolars taken out to make room , was wondering if she might be the same. Presumably they'll wait till more teeth have grown in? I think I was about 14? Regular dentist in a few weeks but was just wondering.

Passthebiscuitsvicor Sun 15-Jun-14 22:45:33

Yeah we tend not to refer to ortho until 13/14. They are going to be cutting nhs orthodontics too unless it's an extreme case so be prepared that you might have to pay

SecretRed Sun 15-Jun-14 23:02:41

My 8yo ds's were like this about 18 months ago. They've definitely evened themselves out since and I think they'll be fine in a couple years (dentist seems to think so too) His looked terrible as they were coming through and I was fearing lots of corrective work.

olivo Tue 17-Jun-14 21:12:19

Thank you both. Fingers crossed.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now