Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (7) waking through the night regularly complaining of neck pain...

(21 Posts)
IrnBruTheNoo Thu 05-Jun-14 10:54:55

Do I take this seriously? He appears fine throughout the day. I have been telling him off because I just don't think it's genuine, but maybe I'm wrong?? Should I take him to the GP, or is it classed as 'growing pains'?

I have cuddled him and then sent him off to bed, even asking if he wanted a hot water bottle, but he said it doesn't help....

Has anyone had any experience of this with their DC of a similar age?

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 05-Jun-14 10:55:52

When I mean regularly, I mean he's been doing this for a few months a couple of nights each week...I am struggling to cope because of the sleep disruption due to health problems myself I need to get enough rest.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 05-Jun-14 11:03:00

I would take him to GP.

I wouldn't tell him off and assume he is making it up.

gorionine Thu 05-Jun-14 11:07:00

does he sleep in an awkward position (cushion to thick/hard)

Personally, if I had rules out possible uncomfortable bed I would try GP.

iseenodust Thu 05-Jun-14 11:11:35

Does he play a lot on tablet/DS/phone? I read recently this is causing neck strain in some DC. Seeing DS's posture when he's on his I can easily believe it.

kelda Thu 05-Jun-14 11:15:30

Get a new pillow? Maybe even a new mattress?

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 05-Jun-14 11:45:42

Mattress if fairly new (had it for three years) and pillows are fine. They're the same ones he's always had, nothing new has changed.

Fanjo fair enough. Will arrange a GP appointment. I do feel guilty about getting upset with him now, when I see others have pointed out I've been out of order...

iseen he does use a Nintendo DS but hasn't played it for a few days, but it has started happening since he has been using it. Thanks for pointing this out too, I hadn't thought that may be a possible cause for the neck pain.

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 05-Jun-14 11:48:39

It just seems odd that he's absolutely fine throughout the day, there is never a mention of it, yet at night when we're sleeping he's coming through crying about a sore neck. That's why I've been wondering if it's genuine. DH thinks he's making it up. I don't know what to think any more, but will take him to GP to rule anything sinister out.

Thanks for your input everyone.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 05-Jun-14 12:00:02

Ach don't feel guilty. You were doing what you thought was right at time smile

Cocolepew Thu 05-Jun-14 12:03:50

DD developed a sore neck at night. I changed the pillows but then saw her sitting on the bed looking down at her laptop, once she stopped doing this she didn't complain again

gorionine Thu 05-Jun-14 12:36:37

IrnBru, we all do have times where we are necessarily fair with our DCs. It is always easier for someone outside the situation to think of the wider picture, do not beat yourself up.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 06-Jun-14 10:19:45

Thanks everyone. GP appointment has been booked next week for DS.

Staywithme Fri 06-Jun-14 10:26:52

Is the wee rascal playing his ds in bed. I'm terrible for messing on the iPad in bed and feel it in my neck the next morning.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 06-Jun-14 13:14:24

No, he plays with the DS on the couch in living room. He hasn't been playing it for the past few days though Staywithme so perhaps we'll see if there's a link. Thanks smile

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 07-Jun-14 09:23:56

Ended up phoning NHS 24 last night at 9.30pm because DS was very distressed with pain around the neck. Then when I was on the phone he was all quiet again, he went back to bed around 10pm. I got a call back at 11.30pm and was given advice to administer pain medication, heat pack/hot wattle bottle to neck area and rearrange pillows, with lots of reassurance. He woke up at 2.30am this morning so I followed the advice given...

Still to keep GP appointment for next week as there may be something going on "we haven't thought of" as the nurse advisor said over the telephone...

What a worry!

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 12-Jun-14 10:58:57

Took DS to see GP this morning. It's neck strain and not anything sinister....thank goodness! He's still coming through during the night but the GP said to just carry on with applying heat and paracetamol. If it's still bothering DS in a month's time we've to go back and get a physio referral..Am hopeful it won't come down to that though.

iseenodust Thu 12-Jun-14 11:07:10

Bigs sighs of relief I'm sure.

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 12-Jun-14 15:23:07

Thanks iseenodust, you're not kidding! smile

Cocolepew Thu 12-Jun-14 17:49:26

That's breath news smile

Cocolepew Thu 12-Jun-14 17:50:01

Good not breath hmmconfused

Staywithme Thu 12-Jun-14 17:53:03

So glad for you and your son. Let us know how he gets on the treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now