Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fobbed off by gp, should I be worried?

(17 Posts)
Missda Sat 07-Jun-14 06:02:57

Hope it goes ok for you OP.

gd1976 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:19:58

Thanks for the emla tip, brilliant knowledge and I will definitely do that, thank you!smile

I think its always better to get bloods done by paeds phlebotomists. They are used to little veins. DD and Ds have had lots of blood tests and we have always had them done at the hospital clinic. I hope there isn't a long wait. You can get your gp to prescribe emla cream to put on at home before the appointment to avoid hanging around waiting for it to work.

gd1976 Fri 06-Jun-14 07:32:11

No they won't do his bloods at the surgery as they said they want him to go where they are used to dealing with children having bloods, which I am quite relieved about! But I don't know if that will delay things though.....

PJ67 Thu 05-Jun-14 23:12:02

That's good that something is happening but I know what you mean, you want them to take it seriously but want reassured that it's nothing to worry about at the same time. Do they not do bloods at your surgery? How long will you have to wait? Hope things improve soon.

gd1976 Thu 05-Jun-14 22:50:37

Thanks to all for your advise- saw a different doctor today who took the whole thing far more seriously and is booking our ds into hospital for blood tests and a scan, I didn't need to fight our case at all, and she said just by looking at him she could tell something was wrong (which is slightly worrying) . Fingers crossed its nothing too serious and we can get it sorted smile

sounds just like my dd at similar age and it was coeliac.

cestlavielife Wed 04-Jun-14 21:38:14

You can get a lot of poo when there is a severe blockage ie constipation.
But get celiac screen done

gd1976 Wed 04-Jun-14 21:36:53

That's interesting pj67, I don't think its constipation as so much seems to come out when he does go, but you never know.... I've got an appointment tomorrow morning, and what is more worrying is that my husband is the one who suggested it and he's normally so annoyingly relaxed about these things and so we're both going, which might make the doctor realise its not just a 'neurotic mother' coming in!!!

PJ67 Tue 03-Jun-14 22:39:57

Hi. I would ask for a full blood count and a blood test for coeliac. Try to stand your ground and don't let them keep saying it's a virus, maybe it is but as it's been going on for a while you need reassurance that other things are rules out.
My son gets diarrhoea when he's actually constipated and it's like a leakage of stool that gets past the impacted bits, if you know what I mean! It's been better since he's been in one sachet of movicol for kids. Does he ever soil his pants as that is often a sign of constipation overflow.

gd1976 Tue 03-Jun-14 14:14:17

Ok that's interesting... No they didn't do blood tests, just said it was a virus. I just feel it is more that that, he's had lots of colds and bugs in the past but this seems different, I just hate the way you're made to feel like a neurotic mother going to see the GP... Anyway I'll book another appointment...

CMOTDibbler Tue 03-Jun-14 14:01:58

I'd be pushing for blood tests to check for coeliac disease

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 03-Jun-14 13:59:08

Did they take bloods? Is he anaemic? Or coeliac? Again, this can show in a blood test. Is he losing weight?

gd1976 Tue 03-Jun-14 13:57:23

Yes had stool sample 2 weeks ago and all clear....

Mynewone Tue 03-Jun-14 13:55:15

Did the dr take a stool sample? I would go back if not

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 03-Jun-14 13:53:30

I've seen people describe coeliac symptoms just like you have listed above. I would ask for a second opinion.

gd1976 Tue 03-Jun-14 13:50:34

My ds is 5 and over last month has become very pale, bags under eyes and they look sunken, and having been so outgoing, boisterous, and generally pretty full on, he has become really withdrawn and just seems exhausted all the time.
The only only health issues he's had is ongoing upset tummy and having to rush to the loo alot with very loose stools, and having tummy ache, but his stools have been checked and all clear. And other complaint is an ongoing sore heel for he last few months. I'm pretty sure these are all unrelated, and I normally let these bugs and illnesses ride out without going to the doctors, but what concerns me is the way he is a fraction of his former self, its like he's had a personality transplant! He's generally a very happy normal boy, and yes he's happy at school.....
I went to the doctor who just said its a virus, should I be concerned?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now