Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Steroids (prednisilone) in 20 month old - quick advice please

(3 Posts)

DD has just been prescribed 3 days of 20mg prednisilone tablets for a severe recurring wheezy chest along with amoxicillin and inhalers.

Picked up the tablets from pharmacy but realised when we got home that there are no instructions/leaflet in the box. They're big tablets so I'm assuming I dissolve them? Does anyone know if there is a min/max amount of water to dissolve them in? Presume I can dissolve them in weak juice to take away any yucky taste?

Also she is just getting over chicken pox - somewhere in my distant memory is there something to do with CP and steroids?

Waiting for call back from doctor but would like to get a dose in asap as she's really quite poorly if anyone knows?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 23-Apr-14 15:29:24

At work we dissolve them in the minimum amount possible because they're foul tasting, and we draw out what we need. I would phone or go back to the pharmacy and check as you need to know how much to draw out into the syringe.

mercibucket Wed 23-Apr-14 18:52:39

if they are actual dissovable tablets (?) they taste gross! dissolve in pure ribena or similar strong squash, just enough to fit in a medicine syringe eg calpol type
alternatively crush and add to eg yoghurt

i would double check wrt cpx. normally it is when on longer term high dose steroids i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now