Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Duct tape for verucca's - how long does it take to work??

(16 Posts)
Loueytb3 Wed 23-Apr-14 11:16:30

DTs both have veruccas. I've had duct tape on them for just under 3 weeks now. One of DTS2's (v small) seems to have gone. However the big ones are still there, although they appear to be changing in appearance. One of DTS1's has now got pits round the edge of it and it seems to be separating from the rest of his foot. Is this is what you would expect?

I'm going to persist a while longer, just wondering how long I need to carry on with it before I go to plan b....

hertsmum10 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:12:15

duct tape? I have never heard of this! better than over count stuff?

Loueytb3 Wed 23-Apr-14 22:18:56

Yes - according to previous threads I found on MN. There is also a trial published where they found it was more effective than freezing.

Milliways Thu 24-Apr-14 22:25:04

Keep going. I had huge stubborn verrucas for months (taking DS to swimming clubs 4 days a week), resisted all the pharmacist stuff but eventually killed with the tape - but it did take several weeks to completely go.

Sounds like yours are changing. The best bit is when you peel the tape off and the whole thing comes away in a plug!

Mine can't have taken more than a couple of weeks as I am useless at sticking with stuff. But it wasn't massive.

LyndaCartersBigPants Thu 24-Apr-14 22:29:53

Just trying this with my DS this week. I thought it was a quick fix so glad I've read this now and will persevere.

DP panicked when he came up to bed and found duct tape on the bed - he wondered what I had in store for him!

Loueytb3 Thu 24-Apr-14 22:51:48

Thanks milliways - I will keep going. They are definitely changing and if anything DS1's looks grosser than it did before. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

Mine went white, like it had been in the bath for way too long. And I filed it down with one of those paddle buffer things (bad description).

worriedsick100 Mon 28-Apr-14 21:38:04

What sort of duct tape?

elportodelgato Mon 28-Apr-14 21:40:44

Hang on, this is fascinating! So what do you do, just put it on at night? Or all the time?

elportodelgato Mon 28-Apr-14 21:41:29

And does it work for warts too?! Honestly I am INTRIGUED

Milliways Mon 28-Apr-14 22:05:12

All the time, lots of online artices like this one

SwedishEdith Mon 28-Apr-14 22:11:06

My youngest had one that fell off this weekend. Used the tape for about a month, with occasional banana skin as well. She'd had it for a few months before I started taping it.

SwedishEdith Mon 28-Apr-14 22:13:44

I missed the satisfaction of seeing the plug. From what I've read, any tape will do as long as you cut off the air and light to it. I actually used a metallic insulation tape. Like sticky foil.

Loueytb3 Tue 29-Apr-14 10:02:53

We've got silver duct tape - just walked into the hardware store and asked for it. Huge roll for around �4.

One of DS2's has gone. Both of DS1's have nearly gone. The other one that DS2 has is in a really awkward place (in the crease under his toe) and is proving difficult to get the tape to stay on. I think it is going, but slower than the others.

Much easier and less stressful than the other treatments.

SwedishEdith Tue 29-Apr-14 20:07:42

If you wrap some plasters over the tape, it should stay in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now