Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very sore tummy after swimming

(8 Posts)
MoragG Wed 23-Apr-14 08:31:19

On several occasions DD1 (4) has complained of a very sore tummy following a swimming trip - she is clearly in a lot of pain, and crying. It doesn't happen every time we go, but has only occurred a little while after we have been in the pool which is what is making me think there is a link. It seems to be a cramping sort of pain - it isn't constant, but comes in spasms. The only thing that seems to help a little is a hot water bottle- I can't think what else to give her that would help sad I make sure she hasn't eaten for well over an hour before she goes into the pool, so I don't think it's food related. A couple of people have suggested it's because she is swallowing the water, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or any suggestions for what would help? I have done some searching, but this doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.I haven't taken her to the GP as it doesn't happen every time we go swimming, and it does pass within 20 to 30 minutes, but I don't like to see DD1 in pain.

justmuddlingalongsomehow Wed 23-Apr-14 08:32:33

I used to get dreadful wind after swimming because of the breathing/ swallowing water. Could it be that?

singaporeswing Wed 23-Apr-14 08:37:39

I used to get this as a child too. My GP said it was probably wind caused by "gulping" air. Sounds similar to justmuddling

My Dad taught me how to breathe better while swimming and it went away as I became a stronger swimmer.

MoragG Wed 23-Apr-14 08:44:36

Thanks both - that sounds like a likely explanation. She is doing swimming lessons, but I don't think they have done much on breathing yet, so will ask about this. Was there anything that made you feel better at the time? It doesn't happen as soon as we get out the pool - usually a little while later.

singaporeswing Wed 23-Apr-14 09:41:17

Hot water bottle and small sips of lemonade if I remember correctly!

FallenAngel22 Wed 23-Apr-14 09:44:39

My DD is exactly the same!! She does have issues with wind and constipation from time to time and sometimes, for reasons unknown, she gets the pain after swimming. School nurse and Dr are baffled as to why as she doesn't swallow water but maybe it's something to do with the breathing?

MoragG Wed 23-Apr-14 09:57:32

Thanks! I love Mumsnet smile There is always someone else who has had the same experience!

LatinForTelly Thu 24-Apr-14 12:38:28

How funny, my 4 year old has this too - a bit more immediate though, so we have to get out of the pool urgently so he can go to the loo. I was wondering whether it was becoming a bit of a Pavlovian response to going in the pool. That's interesting about the breathing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now