Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby excema and odd "cure" or just coincidence??

(9 Posts)
Lj8893 Tue 22-Apr-14 18:28:05

My dd is 6 months and has had quite bad excema for a while, we have tried everything!

This weekend she stayed at my mums house and her excema dramatically improved. She didn't bathe her and the only thing we could think of is that maybe it's because she lives in a soft water area and so the water being used in dds bottles improved it.

After a day being back at home her excema flared up again. Yesterday afternoon my mum bought over a few litres of her tap water which I used last night and today for dds bottles and her excema has improved again.

Has anyone heard of this before??

Layl77 Tue 22-Apr-14 18:31:07

Could it be that you didn't bath? Do you have any fragranced plug in or air fresheners etc?

Lj8893 Tue 22-Apr-14 18:35:04

I don't bathe her very often because of her excema and only use water anyway so it wouldn't have been that.

We don't have any air freshners or anything like that.

Try one of those Brita filter jugs?

Lovethesea Tue 22-Apr-14 18:40:20

You can get a filter put on your mains so all your water is soft. Haven't done it here but live in a very hard water area so it's advertised a lot.

Like a bin sized box under the kitchen sink cupboard, not as pricey as I thought either.

Worth a look?

KCAMum Tue 22-Apr-14 18:42:45

Yes I think it is the change in water, we live in a hard water area and all my children suffered from really dry skin as babies. We would visit family up north and it would noticeably vanish, before reappearing when we got home!

Littlef00t Tue 22-Apr-14 19:03:53

Yep, same with my brother when we were younger. Always terrible when visiting hard water areas.

Iwillorderthefood Tue 22-Apr-14 19:06:18

Different washing powder used on bedding? Different cleaning products used in the house. Hard water and soft water, also definitely play their part.

Lj8893 Tue 22-Apr-14 19:28:38

I will try a filter but apparently they don't do the same thing as hard/soft water iyswim.

Bedding was from our house so that wouldn't have made a difference. Cleaning products maybe.
My mum has 3 cats too so if anything i expected her skin to be worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now