Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Teeth or something else

(5 Posts)
Harri20 Tue 22-Apr-14 12:57:53

Our lg who is 20 months has been tearful, having meltdowns over nothing and very clingy over the past 3/4 days. Also waking 4/5 times a night crying, which she has slept 12 through the night since 6 weeks old. She has been dribbling and biting her fingers and has two back, top teeth which she didn't have a few days ago. But would the crying and over the top tears be related at this age? I know it sounds silly but she already has 8 teeth and they all just appeared with no signs, dribble or change in behaviour. I don't think she was even aware where these teeth come from. So this is new to us.

carolinementzer Tue 22-Apr-14 17:34:43

That sounds painful, poor thing.
my daughter struggled terribly with teething - she was up most of the night for 3 weeks with every tooth. What your describing does sound like teething to me.

I'm not sure why these teeth would hurt more than others, but I've heard that can be the case. I do think the back teeth hurt more because they are wider and there are more points to break through the surface of the gums. It shouldn't last too long - but if she gets unwell e.g. fevers best see a doctor.

I've blogged about teething and how we overcame my daughters pain if you're interested here's the post. Good luck and best wishes. mydaughterwontsleep.com/2014/02/21/teething-when-pain-relief-just-doesnt-cut-it/

Harri20 Tue 22-Apr-14 21:58:59

Her poor tongue is covered on the tip with ulcers from where the new teeth must be sharp and she rubs her tongue on them sad thanks for your reply. Will be taking at look at your link once I've posted this smile

carolinementzer Wed 23-Apr-14 09:32:20

The poor poppet - it's so unfair they have to go through this kind of pain just to get teeth! x

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 23-Apr-14 17:17:49

Horrendous molar/pre molar pain here too. (19 months)

Thanks for your blog post caroline. Might seek out the practitioner you saw. Harri your poor DD. it really is miserable for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now