Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bug after bug ... multivitamin recommendations, please!

(17 Posts)
Wishkah Wed 16-Apr-14 17:44:01

I have 2 dds aged 5yo and 2yo (this month!).

In the past 2 weeks, dd1 has had a diahorrea bug that lasted a week, followed immediately by a vomiting bug that has slowed down, but is still with us 5 days later.

Dd2 had a separate diahorrea bug; caught dd1's diahorrea bug and now has a cold and chesty cough.

We are all vegetarian. Dd1 is a fussy eater to say the least. I've been cleaning shit, sick and snot up for the last 14 days and now it's the Easter holidays, I want to GO OUT and enjoy our time ... clearly, their immune systems are suppressed, hence bug after bug after bug. Please advise me on how to boost their immune systems.

Wishkah Wed 16-Apr-14 17:48:14

I should add that dd1 seems to be coming down with dd2's cough sad

(Also, I am a regular poster but have recently NChanaged).

DeMaz Wed 16-Apr-14 17:54:27

Wishkah, I feel for you. I have a 3 year old who began with vomiting and diarrhoea last Thursday early morning. It's getting slightly better but still lingering. Can't believe her tiny tummy can produce so much!!

These bugs are everywhere and come in all different strains so they get over one and along comes another.....

Grrrr....Hope your LO's get better soon..

DeMaz Wed 16-Apr-14 17:56:44

Sorry, as for vitamins I have heard Abidec is quite good but it's a syrup. I've started my DD on chewable ones called Fruit Softies by Haliborange.

Wishkah Wed 16-Apr-14 18:58:36

DMaz, thank-you for your recommendation and sympathy (which actually means so much more smile ) I'll check those out, and best wishes to your LO, too x

DoItTooJulia Wed 16-Apr-14 19:16:20

You know what, I'm not sure that vitamins will help. I don't think they can do any harm (used normally etc) mind. I think it's normal for kids to have back to back bugs, it helps their immune system.

I do feel your pain, ds2 is a sickly child (18mo) and lurches from one virus to the next. It's awful he's whiny, clearly unwell and dosed up on calpol, which can't be great for him. Hopefully the warmer weather, being outdoors more and getting bigger and stronger will mean he will be well for a decent period of time!

Hope yours both get better soon.

overthehill74 Wed 16-Apr-14 19:57:35

I feel your pain too OP. There's been nothing but sickness in this house this past while. My 6 year old DD has had 4 vomiting bugs in 6 months. DS has had 2. And in between we've had coughs, colds, sore ears, chicken pox and hand foot and mouth. I could literally cry after this winter! I give my 2 minavex multivitamin liquid now. Not sure if it's doing any good but giving it a go anyway! I'll be watching closely to see if anyone can recommend anything as well. Hope now the better weather is here that there will be less bugs about and that your DCs are better soon thanks

ceeveebee Wed 16-Apr-14 20:01:06

I don't think vitamins will prevent D&V. Washing hands religiously is the main prevention I think?

My two have abidec and have done since they were 6 months old. Mainly for the vit D though, not for immune systems

LadyMetroland Wed 16-Apr-14 20:33:38

I would prioritise handwashing too. Every time they come into the house after being out anywhere, and before meals. Getting enough sleep and eating good food is also vital. An apple a day....

allisgood1 Sun 20-Apr-14 04:09:35

Regular hand washing and drinking 100% pure purple grape juice will help you out on the tummy bug front.

goodasitgets Sun 20-Apr-14 04:19:04

They do other varieties but I take the adult version of these, and they are the only multi vits I notice a difference with. Not cheap though

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00427OPZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1397963864&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Wishkah Sun 20-Apr-14 21:05:46

Thanks all smile I bought Haliborange immunity boost multivits for them. We practice good hygeine at home; tricky for me to manage at school though I will remind dd1 to wash her hands whilst at school. Dd2 likes to drink from dd1's cups, etc so I shall keep those out of reach if dd1 gets another bug!

Twighlightsparkle Sun 20-Apr-14 22:43:56

Maybe check school are implementing the 48 hr rule?

Wishkah Mon 21-Apr-14 08:26:49

Yes, they have just done so, on the basis of a sharp rise in d&v before Easter.

deadwitchproject Mon 21-Apr-14 12:51:38

I've been giving a probiotic to my twins and it has worked wonders on their general health and bowel movements. They had a nasty bout of gastroenteritis last year which took a long time to recover from. Its a powder from Biocare and I add it to their morning milk.

littlemonkeyface Wed 23-Apr-14 12:12:30

Actimel or other live yoghurts.

And like others have said plenty of hand washing (but without making the kids paranoid about bugs).

incywincyspideragain Wed 23-Apr-14 23:25:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now