Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Recurring UTI in 3yr old

(17 Posts)
onestepbeyond Mon 14-Apr-14 22:58:26

Dd1 has just been put on antibiotics for a UTI for the second time in a month. Doctor is niw talking about sending her to the hospital for a scan. What would this be looking for? Can it be something serious?

Sorry - I'm sure the doctor told me all this at the time but dd1's temp was 40.5 and I was all flustered.

Thanks

onestepbeyond Tue 15-Apr-14 08:32:40

bump

Bunbaker Tue 15-Apr-14 19:49:26

They will want to do something called a DMSA scan where they inject dimercaptosuccinic acid into the hand and then wait for it to circulate round the body (about 2 hours) until it reaches the kidneys. This is to check for potential kidney damage. DD used to get UTIs and has had two DMSA scans. The most important thing to remember is that your daughter must lie absolutely still while they are doing the scan. If she fidgets they can't get a clear enough picture.

It doesn't hurt BTW.

KellyElly Tue 15-Apr-14 19:56:02

My DD had an ultrasound scan (no injection of anything in veins) and it showed a tiny scar on her left kidney from damage from the UTIs. She has to go back for another scan when she is seven and have regular urine tests.

onestepbeyond Tue 15-Apr-14 22:32:55

Thank you for your replies. She is only 3 so i'm not sure they'll get her to lie still! I'm sure they'll have some trick up their sleves though!

clio51 Tue 15-Apr-14 23:10:41

Hi

Just a thought my niece used to get this quite a lot!!

Took my sister ages to connect it with her it was citrus . Any drink or fruit with citrus in would set her off.

She now as a daughter herself and it seem she may be the same, she only 2 so can't really explain but will draw her legs up and cry.

Just a thought

onestepbeyond Wed 16-Apr-14 22:25:19

thanks clio I hadn't considered that it could be linked to something she's eating. I'll have a think back to see if i can see any patterns

Hi.
My dd had this though she was much younger. The scan revealed a reflux of the tubes which connect the kidneys to the bladder. Some urine was flowing the wrong way, returning to the kidneys and causing infection.
As it was caught early there was no scarring to the kidneys.
Dd was prescribed a preventative dose of ABs which she continued to take for 3 years. No further problems.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 16-Apr-14 22:56:21

My dd also has this and had a DMSA Scan when she was about 16mths . She did lie still enough eventually they will be very patient with her and they will have a tv so you can bring her favourite DVDs and toys to keep her happy

Turned out my dd has an underactive kidney and that the other one was working extra hard so the underactive one would get stronger . I just kept sample bottles in the house so whenever I spotted symptoms id get a sample in right away and nip it in the bud . She's 9 now and hasn't had a uti for a good few years now .

Bunbaker Thu 17-Apr-14 07:42:24

Morecrack that is exactly what they discovered with DD. She also had to take a prophylactic dose of antibiotics for 3 years. She is 13 now and hasn't had any more problems.

Dd is also now 13, Bunbaker! She does have some slight areas of discolouration on her back teeth as a result of the ABs, but has not had any other issues.

ReadyToBreak Sat 19-Apr-14 12:32:23

What antibiotics is she on? I had this as a child and was given penicillin but it didn't clear up only got worse, they worked out that I am allergic to penicillin, very rare reaction that mimics cystitis before causing kidney failure.

claraschu Sat 19-Apr-14 12:48:57

The scan may be to see if she is emptying her bladder completely when she wees. If they ask her to go in for an ultrasound with a full bladder that will be what they are looking for.

My 12 year old daughter has the same problem. Her GP keeps prescribing antibiotics, but I think that sets up a cycle of recurring problems, as all the good bacteria are killed off, creating an unbalanced system.

The last time UTI started, I gave her large doses of cranberry extract (Cysticlean is the name of the brand we used) and probiotics to replace the lost good bacteria. She didn't need antibiotics, as the infection cleared up! Eating yoghurt and drinking cranberry juice drink DOES NOT do the trick. We tried that, with no success, but the (fairly expensive, from a good health food store) concentrated extracts really worked.

Also sugar is not good for a child about to come down with a UTI. If you can give her a really healthy diet and talk to a knowledgeable person at a reputable health food store, you may be able to break the cycle and avoid all the antibiotics.

I am not a fan of pills and potions, and don't have any faith in quackery, such as homeopathy. This treatment really worked for us. Of course, if your daughter has some kind of problem which is shown up on the scan she may need a different additional treatment or surgery.

ilovemonstersInc Sat 19-Apr-14 12:55:36

Theres more than 1 scan they can do.
Did they treat the original infection with the right antibiotics?
I havr kidney reflux and thag kidney is small and scarred, other kidney is bigger than normal to compensate. Im under renal team atm and they think the bigger kidney is scarred too.
Could be something like reflux, could just be they gave wrong antibiotics. Theres a few antibiotics I can't have due to resistance but i know if im on the wrong antibiotics it will not go!

Citrus played a part here too. If I ate oranges hmm I would end up with an infection (not 1 orange a few in a few days) atm im pregnant and fancy oranges too.

Hope the scan goes well.

craziedaisy Sat 19-Apr-14 17:38:05

Can I ask those of you who have uti's whether the lab always grows a culture. Going out of my mind at the moment as ds has done 4 urine samples but not one has grown anything but they have contained blood , white blood cells, protein and this time nitrates. Due to have scan but terrified his kidneys are not working. Sorry to hijack thread but no one has answered mine.

onestepbeyond Sat 19-Apr-14 22:50:24

Thanks claraschu that's really useful. I'll pop into town next week and try and track down some cranberry extract. Would really prefer her not to be taking antibiotics if there is a natural alternative.
ilovemonstersInc I think it's highly possible the original antibiotics didn't clear it up completely as there was only a couple of weeks beween infections. Also she is ust learning to take herself to the toilet independently and may not be wiping properly!
craziedaisy hijack away! Hope your son is ok - that sounds scary and frustrating.

naty1 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:31:50

I also saw drinks like ribena can cause utis.
But also wiping incorrectly.
I found cranberry juice worked on my uti

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now