Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Travel sickness- why can't I buy joyrides anywhere!?!

(7 Posts)
Afritutu Mon 14-Apr-14 17:27:23

My daughter (age 4) suffers from motion sickness in the car. After trying lots of things, we finally found an over the counter medication that works: joyrides. The other medications either don't work or make her sleepy which is useless if we are travelling to go somewhere for a trip/visit etc. Travel bands have no effect.

For the last 6 months or so I have been unable to buy joyrides anywhere - I live in south east and work in London and have tried countless pharmacies. All other travel sickness medicines are also unavailable apart from the ones that make her sleepy. No-one can seem to tell me why or when they are likely to come back into stock. I can't seem to find them in stock online either. Glaxo makes them but there is no info online as to why I can't buy them.

We have several trips/holidays coming up later this year and I am desperate. It's awful to see her throwing up. I have resorted to airplane sick bags in the car,it's awful.

Does anyone know why I can't buy them?
Does anyone have an unwanted stash at home (no matter how small) - I am desperate !!!

stripeyblacksocks Mon 14-Apr-14 17:51:07

Following (and bump)
These worked great for dc when we drove to Germany and I would have been looking to get more soon

Kwells kids seems to have the same active ingredient - maybe you could try them

According to my cousin who is a GP, Kids Kwells are the same as Joyrides, and we have used them since being unable to get any Joyrides and they seem to work just as well.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Tue 15-Apr-14 12:35:02

There has been a long term availability of the active ingredient - hyoscine. Keels Kids is the same ingredient and is available again now so will work in the same way. This should also indicate that joyrides will be available soon.

Afritutu Wed 16-Apr-14 19:07:23

Thanks everyone. I've not tried kwell, and I know they've not got it in my town (they don't have any medication for travel sickness in stock) but I will try and source it online or on the Internet. What a relief.....

sarndonna Wed 09-Jul-14 16:31:58

Hi, I have just been on the internet and u can get Joy ride tablets from Chemist Direct priced at £2.09 per pk. Give a go. Hopefully u find them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now