Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I take him to hospital

(21 Posts)
Nicole1976 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:28:33

Today I was at the park with my 13 yr old boy when he was bitten by a dog in his privates , initially, it didn't seem to have hurt him too much, he'd cried a tiny bit and there was a cut in his chinos but other than that he seemed OK. It was later on when he got home that he was able to pull his pants down and check for anything, He immediately started panicking and told me to come and look, The dog bite is more severe than first thought and a bite mark has actually cut a tooth-sized hole into his foreskin and there is blood stains in his underwear. It isn't too painful at the moment he says.

Should I take him to hospital or a doctor ? It seems very worrying and I'm scared that he is just pretending to be fine because I know he wouldn't want anyone, even a doctor, looking at his private area.

Thanks smile

Sirzy Wed 26-Mar-14 22:29:37

It needs checking. I would imagine an infection in that area could be nasty and painful sad

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 26-Mar-14 22:30:48

How is he now? Is he sore or uncomfortable at all?

I think if he was well in himself I'd ring NHSdirect for advice, and probably expect to be seeing his GP tomorrow.

snowman1 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:31:49

I am an avoid a&e at all costs but I would take him esp if his tetanus is not up to date etc, dog bites can be really dirty and infecting. I know the time is bad as evenings aren't great...

I'd take him hospital. Forgive me if I am wrong but tetanus you have as a baby wears off after 10 years?

Poor boy hope he feels better soon.x

ExcuseTypos Wed 26-Mar-14 22:32:34

Yes you should take him to hospital. The bite has cut right through his skin so he needs to be seen. He may also need a top up of his tetanus.

wheretoyougonow Wed 26-Mar-14 22:32:53

check his tetanus is up to date.
I would take him to a male GP to get it checked if still worried in the morning.
Also, have you reported this dog? Please do as it has hurt your son.

Wurstwitch Wed 26-Mar-14 22:37:49

GP is fine in the morning. Just get him to clean to reduce chance of infection and the doc can give a tetanus booster tomorrow. (When I snagged myself in several places on rusty barbed wire they were very relaxed - I think you have a couple of days to get the get jab if necessary, they told me to come back the next day).

Poor wee lamb. He'll be shocked more than anything, I suspect.

capet Wed 26-Mar-14 22:40:48

A bite from any animal that breaks skin needs tetanus (which should prob be up to date if he has had all his vaccinations/boosters etc) and needs an antibiotic to prevent infection

Nicole1976 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:41:17

I'm not going to report the dog because we are familiar with it and it is usually very calm and also the dog had bitten him in an attempt to eat the mcdonalds fries he was resting on his thighs rather than hurt him.

NurseyWursey Wed 26-Mar-14 22:41:39

I would take any child bitten by an animal to the hospital.

Hope he's okay.

Wurstwitch Wed 26-Mar-14 23:14:55

Once ds has gotten over the shock, I can see a lot of family jokes about minding his fries coming on... Might be better to wait a couple of weeks, though.

Boris13 Thu 27-Mar-14 07:15:01

A dog has bitten and made your son bleed.

Ofcourse you should take him to the hospital, he needs an injection and maybe cleaning of the area and antibiotics!

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 27-Mar-14 07:21:27

Who was in control of the dog? Was your son feeding the dog at the time? Was he allowing the dog to eat from his lap?

Cockadoodledooo Thu 27-Mar-14 07:37:25

I can't see why you'd think a puncture wound from a dog bite doesn't need medical attention. Did you take him? If not, to the GP/nurse practitioner today.

coldwater1 Thu 27-Mar-14 08:39:42

I would take him to hospital. I think the fact that the dog is usually calm is irrelevant, just shows any dog can turn around and bite.

SweetTeaVodka Thu 27-Mar-14 08:48:48

I would take him to A&E (Or Minor Injuries if you have one nearby) - dog bites can cause nasty infections. I say this as a nurse who thinks most of the public are too quick to go to A&E rather than GP.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 27-Mar-14 10:15:36

Yes take him. It could get infected and may need cleaning and he may need a tetanus.

AllThatGlistens Thu 27-Mar-14 10:19:24

Always, always, always get an animal bite checked, as soon as possible.

And you should absolutely report the dog, it bit your son shock

Sneezecakesmum Thu 27-Mar-14 17:34:53

Generally speaking if he has had his full course of tetanus jabs (5) he will still be covered.

Antibiotics are not routinely given for dog bites but a really good clean and if possible make it bleed a little to clean it out. Not possible I suspect in that area!

Logically the testicles are just a normal part of the body and even broken skin shouldn't matter, but I've personally never come across this so not 100% certain.

I would give your gp a ring tomorrow just to see what they advise. They should be able to manage such a simple injury and make the decision about antibiotics.

Misfitless Fri 28-Mar-14 00:52:34

Did you take him, OP?

I've only read this now, but I definitely would not have advised waiting till the morning.

Hope he's OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now