Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Spiking temps for 6 days!! 3 yr old

(9 Posts)

A friend of mine needs advice and reassurance please.

Temps started last fri. About twice in 24 hrs have risen to max 40 (usually up to 39.5ish). Stuffy nose now and cough. Been to docs three times,each time told just none specific virus. However told last time that if the spikes kept being as high they would refer us to hosp.

Getting bigger gaps between spikes- 39 yesterday lunch and not again till today at 3pm. When spikes takes a couple of hours to come down and comes down very gradually. When not spiking he is quite chipper. Not a massive appetite but average day eating weetabix, slice of toast, cold cooked pasta. Drinking plenty of water. Anyone else experience the length of time of this temp? It's the number if days that it's gone on that is concerning me more than anything else. X

Hello my DS gets this regularly - temps
Up to 40 up and down for a number of days.

Is he drinking enough and going to the toilet regularly?
If this is going on for 6 days and the doctor hasn't said much I would and have done gone to A+E at children's. They will look into things further. I would take him whilst he had the temp though, and be prepared to wait a bit.

This is what I would do, it depends on how the mother feels about It I'm a strong believer on trusting mothers instincts if she feels something is not quite right pop along for reassurance

Boris13 Wed 26-Mar-14 18:33:25

maybe he needs some blood tests to rule things out or get a diagnosis...

40' is very high!

I think she is torn between being worried at how long it's lasting but afraid of ending up in the hospital system if it's 'just a virus'..

I second the blood tests.

It is a risk they will say it's just a virus. But it's better to go and be at ease. The children's hospital will
Not make it seem like she is is being an inconvenience they'd rather you went than didn't

In my experience with DS they always did tests, bloods, urine, etc.

BarbarianMum Wed 26-Mar-14 21:33:47

Ds2 had this for 8 days, except he wasn't eating and was sleeping lots and lots. I assumed it was flu tbh. He did recover after the 8th day but it took him a couple of weeks to truly get over it.

surfmama Wed 26-Mar-14 23:39:45

Yes we had this for a week up and down. fine now. Two new teeth. we do 40 often here.

Thanks everyone. She just reported a relatively good night with a low fever at 3.30. They are back at the dr this morning, will keep you posted smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now