Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

i am to scared to take my son the play and stay groups!

(9 Posts)

I am being silly but I don't want to take my son to play and stay groups because of the TB going around.! my hubby said it was in Birmingham! I don't live there but it spreads,,, am I being silly or what?

LIZS Wed 26-Mar-14 15:51:44

tbh if you considered all the potential illnesses around you'd never go anywhere. TB risk is no more significant than others and they offer the vaccine in areas of high incidence.

oh right but I have a premature baby and don't really want her becoming ill with it, it would seriously harm her!

HolidayCriminal Thu 27-Mar-14 13:30:07

what is her age now (adjusted)?

Teasle - How old your DS?
LIZS is right, you would never leave the house if you think like this, so you are being a bit silly.
I'm saying this with kindness!

my daughter is 8 months old but was 3 months prem. shes been in hospital a few times due to not being able to breath. I probz am being a bit over reacting lol
thanks for the replies smile X
Emma

mercibucket Sat 29-Mar-14 16:56:00

hi there
it is really common to have post natal anxiety, maybe there is a touch of this with your health concerns, plus the worries of having a premmie baby. bliss have really good support groups in a lot of areas where you could meet with other parents and their premmie babies/toddlers. might be a gentle introduction to mum and baby groups?

LetTheRiverAnswer Sat 29-Mar-14 19:55:37

The risk of TB is minimal, but playgroups are notorious for being a hotbed of illnesses and colds. As she is so young still and more vulnerable than most, since she had help with her breathing especially, I think your concerns are not totally unfounded. With my premmie I found one nice group, which was smaller and quieter than a lot of others (ds was easily over stimulated, which was more of an issue for me than his physical health) and just stuck with that until he was bigger (over one, I think). I was by no means housebound, I met up with friends at each others houses or in town.
I don't think you need to worry too much about TB, but it seems reasonable to be a bit more cautious than most. At 8 months she wint be getting anything out of playgroup specifically, as long as you're taking her out and about and you're getting enough social interaction, it can wait a bit IMO.

thank you all so much. you've gave me peace at mind now. thanks again xxthanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now