Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Grommets any practical advice

(10 Posts)
CHERRYBL0SS0M Sun 23-Mar-14 10:30:35

Our DS is due to have another operation soon for returning adenoids. It has been mentioned that they might need to do grommets as well (hearing test not successful) but pressure test indicates ear drum isn't moving as it should so won't know until the do the operation.
It was quite a surprise to have that possibility included and, as it was seen as a bit if an afterthought (other things being done during the op too) we didn't get a chance to discuss it much with his consultants.

Can anyone offer some advise regarding the practical side if him having grommets? I've been told to put ear plugs in after the op for baths etc or use cotton wall with Vaseline on it. What do we need to do differently during day to day etc

We are also due to go on holiday with his grandparents 3wks after the op, and they have been really looming forward to taking him in the big swimming pools sad

Any advise on this would be really appreciated. Thanks!

greencybermummy Sun 23-Mar-14 15:32:21

We used mouldable ear plugs from Boots for baths and swimming. I broke each one in half as they were quite large and they then moulded into DD age 5 no problem. Used swimming hat as DD has to wear one anyway in the pool to help keep them in place. You can buy a neoprene head piece which covers ears, not sure on name. We were advised not to swim for 6 weeks I think but unsure whether that was to do with grommets or adenoids now. Other than that nothing else practical but glad she had them done as hearing improved, she became much happier at school and constant runny nose improved too.

sussexmum38 Sun 23-Mar-14 15:40:15

From memory dd1 had ear plugs for swimming but no problems. Grommet was great and fell out after a couple of years when everything was OK.

sussexmum38 Sun 23-Mar-14 15:40:33

From memory dd1 had ear plugs for swimming but no problems. Grommet was great and fell out after a couple of years when everything was OK.

CHERRYBL0SS0M Mon 24-Mar-14 15:59:56

Thank you for the replies smile

saltstatement Mon 31-Mar-14 14:51:44

Most likely you will be advised not to swim for a month or 6 weeks after grommets. You are best with made to measure ear moulds. The hospital should be able to recommend someone to do this privately when you have the op. My DC wear the moulds for swimming with the neoprene head band on top as even made to measure are at risk if diving etc and use the moulds without the head band for baths and showers. They need remaking as the child grows perhaps every 3 or 6 months. Apparently bath water is the more risky for infection than swimming pools!

saltstatement Mon 31-Mar-14 14:51:54

Most likely you will be advised not to swim for a month or 6 weeks after grommets. You are best with made to measure ear moulds. The hospital should be able to recommend someone to do this privately when you have the op. My DC wear the moulds for swimming with the neoprene head band on top as even made to measure are at risk if diving etc and use the moulds without the head band for baths and showers. They need remaking as the child grows perhaps every 3 or 6 months. Apparently bath water is the more risky for infection than swimming pools!

AtSea1979 Mon 31-Mar-14 14:55:27

We found ear plugs useless so in the end avoided swimming for a year.

incywincyspideragain Mon 31-Mar-14 19:24:34

I have 3 boys,multiple sets of grommets between them,we've only ever been told to avoid swimming for 2 weeks and then used putty buddies and a head band (can buy on Amazon) never affected their swimming long term (teachers do need to be told that they have plugs in,makes them more deaf than glue ear did!)

beautifulgirls Mon 31-Mar-14 20:34:49

Another vote for putty buddies here and a neoprene head band to use for baths and swimming. DD was out of swimming for around 2 weeks post op and then swam most weeks with them for around 18 months until her grommets came out by themselves. Never had a problem with water with them doing it that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now