Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any experience of a 24hr ph study for reflux?

(7 Posts)
missmagnum Tue 18-Mar-14 18:31:15

Ds 3.2 has silent reflux, as he hasn't outgrown it, they want to do a ph study and barium swallow.

Not sure what to expect at all, will he be in pain? How do we stop him pulling the tube out and how do they get a toddler to drink the barium meal?

Thanks

shugs2k8 Tue 18-Mar-14 20:47:10

Hi make sure he is not lactoae intolerance the hospital and doctor told me that my daughter had reflux and tried everything and it turned out to be lactose

Twighlightsparkle Tue 18-Mar-14 21:27:17

My daughter had these tests done, she was a bit younger at just over two.

She kept the tube and probe in fine no probs.

They disguised the contrat stuff in milkshake powder, I think, she loved it, but I think they only needs little to see.

Hope it goes well. May be worth looking into Eosinophilic oesophagitis and asking about that .

missmagnum Tue 18-Mar-14 21:38:32

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Shugs-he had a few tests done today to rule out any allergies but has been on soya for a year just in case.

Twighlight-thanks answering, off to Google that now.

realitygone Sun 23-Mar-14 14:58:06

Dd had both at around 3 months old. The ph test is quite simple really, you have to flick a switch dependingon laying down, sitting, eating.
The barium is no bother also.. however dd did a white poo from the liquid which was quite funny

MillyMollyMardy Wed 26-Mar-14 23:07:15

My Ds has had both done. He had a barium swallow when he was 2.5. He wasn't keen on drinking the swallow but eventually did it with some bribery. I then had to hold him still for the xray. It wasn't the most pleasant thing I forced him to do but was over very quickly. He was smiling at the radiologist when she had finished but complained that she had made him "drink mud".
He had a 24 hour Ph study done last year, he had an nasogastric tube passed up his nose then into his tummy. It made him gag to start with but once he got used to it and he had the monitor in a backpack that he had to wear for 24 hours. He wore the tube with no problem it was stuck to his cheek with tape.
He has Eosinophilic Oesophagitis which Twighlight mentioned.

missmagnum Thu 27-Mar-14 13:10:32

Thanks for the info.

He had the barium swallow the other day and all went well, he actually liked it (unflavoured), strange boy grin.

Just waiting for the PH appt to come through now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now