Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Awful nappy rash - what do I do???

(30 Posts)
Poppymoptin Mon 17-Mar-14 20:09:18

Just changed my little girl's nappy and she was crying almost hysterically. She'd pooed and all around her bum and vulva was red and angry looking and appears to have some tiny spots where she's bleeding. I haven't put her nappy back on or put any cream or anything on it because I don't know what to use that won't make it worse.

She started getting little spots about a month ago and they've gradually spread and got bigger. I assumed it was something to do with the fact that she's now eating food so her wee and poo will be changing too, but this is much, much worse.

I'm taking her to the baby clinic tomorrow, but I don't know what to do now or over night!

Any suggestions please?

rachmini Mon 17-Mar-14 22:06:14

my ds has got a bowel complaint (hirschsprungs disease) one of the side effects is severe nappy rash, we use Ilex cream and a layer of vaseline over the top. we buy the cream from oakmed medical supplies, it is amazing and the rash disappears within a couple of hours. we now use it every nappy change and it provides a barrier and reduces the risk of developing severe nappy rash. x

MyLatest Mon 17-Mar-14 22:09:36

Phone your health visitor and get a prescription for Trimovate cream. It's like Metanium I think but stronger and has an antifungal thing too possibly. It's fantastic stuff - within 8-12 hours the screams at changing time will have stopped. After a couple of days you can change to Metanium. Metanium is available in supermarkets if someone can get you some tonight.

Also check your DD's mouth and lips for white spots, if so make sure you get Daktarin gel for mouth too. The thrush (if it's that) can pass through kids and keep reinfecting.

Badmumof3 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:14:50

I'd agree with the suggestion of camomile tea. I'd also ask the health visitor to prescribe some canesten cream as it could well be thrush. Hope it settles soon x

bonzo77 Mon 17-Mar-14 22:20:11

I'd do nappy off time, cleaning with warm water and cotton wool. Metanium + a layer of sudocreme or zinc/caster oil or Vaseline. If no significant improvement in 24 hrs go to gp. If DS2 has bleeding points after 24 hrs of this we use timodine, which is magic, but prescription only and is anti fungal + mild steroid.

Poppymoptin Tue 18-Mar-14 23:31:05

Thanks everyone. I left her nappy off until she went to bed. We bathed her with oats and she loved it - although to be fair, she always loves a bath. I dabbed her sore bits with the diluted honey and put her to bed. She must have felt better because she slept longer than she has in ages.

I took her to the health visitor today and she says it's thrush so has prescribed an anti-fungal and some metanium. I have to use the anti-fungal 2-3 times a day and the metanium at all the other nappy changes. I'm leaving her nappy-free whenever possible and have stopped using wipes. So far so good!

Thanks again for all your help, it really helped, especially last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now