Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Best way to get temp down in a sleeping child

(34 Posts)
missmapp Sat 15-Mar-14 22:15:01

DS1 ( 9) went to bed with a temp of 38.5. gave him calpol and a cool flannel, temp went down a bit, but now back up to 38.5 again. gave calpol at 8pm. have put cool flannel on his forehead, but he is fast asleep and it is too soon for more calpol.

What is the best thing to do? he has a cough/cold and it was his bday party tonight ( no temp before party, came on when we got home) so is also shattered.

any advice welcome, thank you

BertieBotts Sat 15-Mar-14 22:40:25

Then that totally changes things and you should be acting as though his temperature is 2 degrees higher than it is. I think I'd call 111 to be on the safe side.

missmapp Sat 15-Mar-14 22:40:32

Thanks for advice- seems ok now, will keep a close eye.

missmapp Sat 15-Mar-14 22:41:09

Oh, right - will check 111 .

catchingzeds Sat 15-Mar-14 22:42:46

Thanks missmap, the advice given here is good but always trust your instincts, you know your child better than anyone.

missmapp Sat 15-Mar-14 22:56:50

Temp now 39! Have woken and given nurofen. He is alert (ish considering I woke him) and has just asked if he can open his presents from the party- so think he's ok!!

Taken his pyjama top off and sat with him for a bit, temp down to 38 again.

Children eh- you never stop worrying!!

catchingzeds Sun 16-Mar-14 10:39:34

How is your DS this morning Missmaps?

catchingzeds Sun 16-Mar-14 10:40:07

Sorry keep spelling your nn wrong, I'm blaming lack of sleep!

missmapp Sun 16-Mar-14 10:45:32

Hi catchingzeds. he is still poorly, temp still between 38-39 and nurofen lowering for a bit, but then it rises again. He is shivering a bit aswell. He's currently snuggled up on the sofa watching Harry Potter.

How is your ds? did you have a rough night? It is tough when they are little and ill, at least ds1 can tell me what hurts!

catchingzeds Sun 16-Mar-14 11:07:23

Poor thing hmm Harry Potter sounds a great idea, he's definitely in need of pampering.

Another shocking night here with a sickness bug. I'm glad the sun is shining because I could open a launderette with the amount of washing I have grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now