Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What exercises can my 13 year old do ?

(25 Posts)
Nicole1976 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:02:51

Hello All,
My lovely DS 13 is overweight (4"11 and 8 stone 4/5) his doctor recommended that he exercises regularly but he seems unable to do a lot of the exercise that I can think of:
Cycling:Rode Very slowly and kept falling off when he tried to steer
Trampolining: Struggled to climb onto trampoline unassisted and kept stopping after every 3 or 4 bounces
Swimming:Can't actually swim and again struggled to climb out of the pool withut help.

Based on this can anyone think of an activity that he should be capable of ? smile

Plus he also refuses to do running and won't even walk anywhere because he's used to going everywhere in the car and says its 'really hard and boring'

oddsocksmostly Thu 27-Feb-14 23:17:30

What about doing a paper round?
May be more of an incentive

HugAndRoll Thu 27-Feb-14 23:20:47

Aqua aerobics is low impact but will build strength. Tough love wrt walking - refuse to drive him. Make sure he's eating healthily as that will have the biggest impact.

Would he be interested in a team sport?

Sirzy Fri 28-Feb-14 08:23:38

I would be tempted to start refusing to go in the car everywhere. If it is a short trip then all of you walk and build up the distances slowly.

Morning Nicole - Would your DS be willing to learn to swim?
Also do you have any boxing clubs in your area or martial arts ?

Maybe start slowly and go on family walks a few times a week. Just out of interest, do you exercise?

Nicole1976 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:02:28

Northumberlandlass- Yes, I exercise regularly and a couple of weeks ago I took the family for a walk in the countryside but my poor DS got too tired and then wasnt able to climb a small fence halfway down the path.

Are there any other health issues? I just ask as my 10 yr old is 5ft1 & 8 stone. He is a member of ASC & swims 3 hours a week, plays rugby too.
He's a big lad & yes he probably is overweight but he's very fit.

Maybe he can go & play at the swimming pool with his friends? Even playing in the pool would be good smile

LoreleisSecret Sat 01-Mar-14 11:49:39

I don't think your DS is necessary unable to do these types of exercises, I think he is unwilling to do them!

(Riding very slowly, couldn't get out of the pool?)
If he's a NT 13 year old and no underlying health problems I'd think he's just be lazy tbh.

I think he is having you on and playing on your sympathy for him. Get him into swimming lessons and tell him to use the steps to climb out if he cant pull himself out at the wall.

lljkk Sat 01-Mar-14 12:08:30

Does HE want to lose weight? Does he fret about it or does he just make the right noises when you ask?

Artandco Sat 01-Mar-14 12:15:53

I would be concerned tbh if a normal 13 year old cant get on and off a trampoline or climb over a country stye

I would refuse to use car for anything within town. Only if several miles away. My toddlers walk several miles a day easily

Bike - why does he have to go so slow? Can't he go slow and just get faster as he gets used to it?

Artandco Sat 01-Mar-14 12:17:05

I would be concerned tbh if a normal 13 year old cant get on and off a trampoline or climb over a country stye

I would refuse to use car for anything within town. Only if several miles away. My toddlers walk several miles a day easily

Bike - why does he have to go so slow? Can't he go slow and just get faster as he gets used to it?

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Sat 01-Mar-14 12:19:03

What does he do in PE lessons?

Has he ever liked any activity? Can you talk to the PE teacher/s for recommendations based on what they've seen?

stargirl1701 Sat 01-Mar-14 12:22:21

If he genuinely can't do any of the activities you mentioned, have you considered he may he a Developmental Co-ordination Disorder such as Dyspraxia?

wfrances Sat 01-Mar-14 12:23:36

yes agree on booking him swimming lessons- a great skill to have, not just to lose weight.
if he struggles with a bike try a scooter?
book a tennis/badminton court ,play with him ,he might like that?
golf? they walk miles without even thinking about it.
go for family walks along the coast or up the mountains(take lunch )
my sons are very sporty ,so im trying to think outside the box.

Redoubtable Sat 01-Mar-14 12:25:13

I wear SN goggles so to me a 13 year old who cant climb in/out of the pool or on/off a trampoline would make me wonder as to his core strength.

If a child presented to me with those issues, I would be checking how long he can hold the Superman pose (should be about 2 minutes).

Also how well he can hold supine flexion (see here)

wfrances Sat 01-Mar-14 12:27:58

do you have a dog (or can borrow)to walk?

mousmous Sat 01-Mar-14 12:28:43

stop driving him everywhere.
sign him up for swimming class, maybe even private lessons at first for some confidence.
maybe change bedtime routine, instead of dinner/computergames/reading/bed do dinner/walk a mile round the block/bed

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Sat 01-Mar-14 12:29:50

Stop driving him. Get him a pedometer and incentivise him to rack up the steps. Talk to him about the nature of disabilities which he is creating for himself, and the seriousness of the problem.
(Unless he already has some pre-existing stuff, because I agree with everyone else, this is very extreme).

lljkk Sat 01-Mar-14 12:54:37

I hate it when people on MN say this. I absolutely loathe it. but (ouch)...

is he depressed? What does motivate him? What's he doing with his time?

mousmous Sat 01-Mar-14 12:56:36

wi-fit if he is into computer games?

Nicole1976 Mon 03-Mar-14 18:59:42

Redoubtable- I tried the superman pose with him and he held it for 1 minute and 11 seconds.

Redoubtable Mon 03-Mar-14 21:38:24

Holding his breath or breathing normally?
Could he lift arms straight out in front and knees of the ground- i.e. as per video.

Core strength is the foundation for fitness and a child who hasnt mastered it will find all activities difficult and tiring.

Technical Mon 03-Mar-14 21:52:51

TBH I think (unless there is a disability) that the fact that he can't do these things makes it essential that you stick with it and make him do them regularly. I'm afraid if things are this bad, it's not a choice for him, it's your responsibility to make sure his fitness (and health) improves.

Stop using the car for anything that can be walked in less than 15 mins (and build up to 30 mins)

A family bike-ride every weekend. Start with 30 mins and build up. If he needs to work at it then work at it with him, not being able to ride a bike will be limiting to him throughout life. I would have had no social life at all as a teenager if I couldn't get about by bike. Make it so the rides have a destination that he wants to go to if he's not keen.

How does he travel to school?

And swimming lessons. Everyone needs to know how to swim.

Strictly limit screen time so he's bored and has to find something else to do, you never know it might involve moving about a bit.

Does he have any chores to do? Some energetic hovering or floor scrubbing might be good.

CooCooCachoo Mon 03-Mar-14 22:01:08

Rowing! It's great for core strength and coordination but can almost guarantee that he'll be having too much fun even to know its exercise.

Relatively inexpensive hobby too, great for team building (crews) and for confidence too as even relative youngsters will quickly learn to master smaller craft.

I started rowing late in my early 20's (didn't do much exercise prior) but was immediately hooked and surprised at the number of kids that are part of the club. Most of the older rowers started with the club as youngsters and never looked back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now