Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Was told yesterday that my 4 year old needs glasses

(14 Posts)
mummyblues Wed 26-Feb-14 22:49:15

My DS was tested at our local clinic after being referred from the routine school eyesight check which was below average. He struggled with some of the letters and we are now waiting to see a Ophthalmologist (I think thats what they are called) to check inside his eyes and to receive a prescription.

So far we have been told it looks like he is longsighted, we were not given a prescription but we were told that he is 1 line in the right eye and 2.5 lines in the left...what does this mean??
luckily he has no squint
But I would like to know if once my DS wear glasses is his sight likely to improve?
Has anyone had experience of the child eyesight correct itself?
very worried mum sad

puddock Wed 26-Feb-14 22:51:53

He sounds v like my 3 yo DS who is more longsighted in one eye than the other (similar prescription too). DS has just been prescribed glasses to address this - the hope is that it will keep both eyes working together and prevent squint/lazy eye from developing (because he might just rely on the better eye). The optician expects that he may only need to wear the glasses for a year or two.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Wed 26-Feb-14 22:56:23

My daughter is 4 and was tested as longsighted. She's got used to her glasses pretty quickly but it needed talking about at school as some of her friends thought it was odd and took getting used to.

We took a little specsavers "bug" with glasses on in for show and tell in advance and also mentioned it to her teacher.

I've heard small children often stay longsighted and might change but I've no idea. My husband and I are both short sighted so I was surprised!

HanSolo Wed 26-Feb-14 23:00:39

Sometimes small children are longsighted until their heads are fully grown, and their focal length changes. The sooner he starts wearing specs (and wears them all the time!) the sooner you can start 'reprogramming' his focal length and improving his eyesight.

Lots of children have specs nowadays- they are a far cry from the nhs specs of the 70s!

They even have Star Wars specs... grin

BackforGood Wed 26-Feb-14 23:03:53

My dd was picked up at the Reception check and then called into clinic.
She LOVED wearing glasses - they have some lovely ones now, and lots and lots of role models who wear glasses.

We were told at the time that she probably wouldn't need them after about 4 or 5 years, and that proved right (although I make sure I take her for regular check ups to make sure).
Really hough, it will depend on what it is about the eye theat they are trying to correct.

maillotjaune Wed 26-Feb-14 23:11:46

DS2 had an initial prescription if +3.5 in one eye and +8 shock in the other when he was tested at 5.

He will always need glasses, but after a year of patching the difference in the eyes is much less and I think he is now +2 and +3 or similar.

His big brother spent the first couple if years grumbling because he didn't need glasses and was desperate for some Harry Potter ones grin

Try not to worry - DS still talks about how great his glasses are 4 years later as he can just about remember the blur and the tiredness before he got them.

PurpleAlert Wed 26-Feb-14 23:24:25

Both my DDs were massively long sighted as tinies ( worse eye +7.5! shock)

DD 1 was 16 months when she first got her glasses and DD2 2.5.

As they got older the prescriptions came down massively. Now at 15 and 17 their prescriptions range from +1.5 to +0.5.

They both still wear glasses for homework and close up stuff but they don't need them all the time.

The ophthalmologist who treated them from a young age described the glasses as a splint supporting their eye muscles till they matured. She impressed the importance of this as the saying goes if you leave it till 8 it's too late as the eye muscles mature between the ages of 8 and 10 and then there is little that can be done. Early intervention apparently.

PurpleAlert Wed 26-Feb-14 23:25:00

Is crucial

mummyblues Thu 27-Feb-14 18:43:18

Thank you all for the great feedback!!

Paddock and BackforGood - thats amazing! I hope my DS will not need to wear them after a couple of years!

smartiepantsgirl Thu 27-Feb-14 18:50:30

Why are you so worried? Loads of people wear glasses, it really isn't anything to be worried about

Dd has worn them since she was also 4 and is long sighted. I have worn glasses since I was 11 so wasn't surprised. The vision in the worse of her eyes has improved significantly (she wore a patch for the first year) and both eyes are now of s similar prescription, however she will certainly have to always wear glasses.

Please don't let your ds see that you are so worried, make it a positive and fun experience to chose his glasses - dd changes her frames every year! It's really such a common situation and what orthoptists and opticians can do now is quite incredible smile

HanSolo Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:41

You know- even if she has to wear spec for longer (my DS will- he's +9 each eye!) technology is advancing all the time. By the time they're old enough to undergo a surgical procedure, they'll hav sorted out eye surgery for long-sight I'm sure. I'm long-sighted too btw, +4.75, and I only need specs for computer/films, don't wear them away from a screen at all.

Buggedoff Thu 27-Feb-14 21:34:04

I found out that dd needed glasses when she was 4. We were told that it may only be for a few years, but actually she's now 13 and still needs them.

But that's ok. She looks good in her glasses, they are part of her. Although she's old enough for contacts, she has no wish to try them. But I do remember feeling upset when I first discovered she needed glasses. It's a normal reaction, but one that soon passes.

monikar Fri 28-Feb-14 11:39:21

My DD started wearing glasses at 5yo and still wears them now at 17yo, but now has contacts as well.

I would say get two pairs as one pair seemed to always be broken when DD was small - you can get children's glasses repaired for free with an NHS repair voucher but you need to have a spare pair to wear in the meantime.

Definitelynomore Fri 28-Feb-14 11:45:40

I would like to echo the views that wearing glasses is no big deal, having been wearing them for nearly 30 years! My DD (5) is longsighted and is fine with it. She had little miss naughty glasses first time round, now has Peppa Pig. Vision express are very good with kids and are always repairing (or replacing) DD's specs free of charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now