Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone with a DC on CPAP? Help please!!

(3 Posts)
SallyBear Wed 26-Feb-14 07:41:09

A bit of advice. DD is on humidified CPAP, and she has had a bad cold which I think has now spread to her sinuses. She's been blocked up for over 14 days and its now really affecting her sleep. The CPAP doesn't seem to push past the congestion which I would have expected. Taking her to the GP today to see if we can get antibiotics.

My question is this; could we put one drop of olbas oil or Karvol in the water bath of her machine? Will it work or will it wreck her machine (smell wont go away etc.), or even it may be detrimental to her? Any advice out there please?? Quite desperate!

Thank you.

sallysparrow157 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:46:54

I would advise against it, for one thing it may be really irritant to her as the humidity in cpap is more contained than just normal steam inhalation iykwim, it may also affect the machine, oil based things can cause rubber to perish, not sure what machine you have but there may be rubber seals that could be damaged.

SallyBear Wed 26-Feb-14 17:49:30

Thanks Sally. I contacted GOSH who contacted ResMed and they advised against it! Anyway, we are armed with nasal saline drops, and antibiotics. We have been told by gosh to turn up the humidification to 4.5. Hoping that all this does the trick.
Thanks for replying. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now