Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worry over daughter with constant bowel movements after food

(11 Posts)
emma16 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:17:55

I'm starting to become increasingly concerned about my 6 year old daughter who is going to the toilet for a poo after every time she eat's a meal.
She's always had a habit of going after tea around 5pm but over the past 4 months or so i've noticed she's started increasing from one bowel movement at tea time to also another time during the day, but now she is going for a poo after every meal, and some times in between if she has just a snack of an apple or a cereal bar etc.
I've noticed that she's also eating less complaining of feeling full or sick. My husband wondered if it's because she's scared of eating for then having to go for a poo but i don't think that's the case as she's always loved her food (and still does) and certainly show's no fear when it's put in front of her or when she starts eating.
It seems to be after so many mouthfuls that she quickly starts to 'feel full/sick'.
She often complains of her tummy 'hurting', feeling sick, looking peaky & tired. She has a good bedtime routine & is in bed by 7.30pm. Sometimes she can still be awake when we might pop upstairs to the toilet around 8pm time but most importantly she's rested in bed & she's happy to be there.
I know some people will be thinking just take her to the doctors & I am planning on doing so, however i know the first thing they will say is to keep a food diary along with toilet habits so that's what i'm doing at the moment & have about 5 days worth.
I just wondered in the meantime if anyone else has had any experience or knowledge of something similar.

minipie Tue 25-Feb-14 19:29:40

How is her poo do you know? DD is much younger but I notice that she poos after every meal/snack when she is constipated (hard dry poo). Wonder if that might be an issue here?

emma16 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:12:10

It's very loose 90% of the time, it's never hard or constipated. She looks 'poorly' quite a lot & i've noticed a little red around under the eye's. It's tricky because i know kids can swing from one way to another, she's tired a lot of the time also & just seems to be exhausted. Which to be honest if she's pooing every time she eats she's probably not getting the nutrition from food & wearing her out!

maillotjaune Tue 25-Feb-14 20:21:44

Well I have knowledge of a couple of children who sound similar but one seems to have nothing wrong with them (has had extensive tests) and the other has possible absorption problems. I am indeed going to say you need a trip to the GP and I would make the appointment now rather than wait as you have started to keep a food diary bit already have enough to be concerned about.

Could be nothing at all but you're clearly worried so why not get the ball rolling asap?

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 25-Feb-14 20:27:11

First of all, she is not pooing out the food she had just eaten.

Any family history of coeliac disease or serious bowel conditions? I think you need to take your Dd to the GP and discuss her fatigue, bowel movements and any other health issues... And specifically ask about coeliac, if only to rule it out.

emma16 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:28:48

Your probably right, i just always feel instantly guilty if i need to request a doctors appointment!
I do think they would probably say to keep a food diary just to see if it links to anything specific, that's why i've started off doing it, but yes it is starting to play on my mind.
I just wondered if anyone had had experience with similar or suggest something to try, but thanks for the response's.

emma16 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:31:48

Oh i know she's not pooing out instantly what she eats, sorry i should have worded it better. But basically within half an hour of eating she is going to the toilet feeling sick with a sore tummy & then pooing.

No there's no history of anything like that in either our family's thankfully, although i'll have to google Coeliac as i've never heard of it! I will specifically ask about that too thanks.

Twighlightsparkle Tue 25-Feb-14 21:42:08

Defiantly worth a referral to a paediatric gastroenterologist. My child has a severe intolerance of all food( I'm not suggesting its that) but there are similarities.

Hope you get a simple answer

maillotjaune Tue 25-Feb-14 22:07:18

You should not feel guilt for using a public service! And yes, they might ask you to keep a food diary but equally, they might want to take bloods and you won't know until the GP actually sees your daughter.

MoreBeta Tue 25-Feb-14 22:15:23

I agree with those who said coeliac. The symptoms are very reminiscent of coeliac and I immediately thought coeliac commonly combined with lactose intolerance.

It could be other things like fructose intolerance as you mentioned fruit and cereal bars which contain fructose.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 25-Feb-14 22:17:18

Your child is unwell - the Drs are there to help her! No need for guilt, you pay for those services after all through your taxes (direct or indirectly) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now