Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Saggy balls?!

(13 Posts)
umiaisha Mon 24-Feb-14 22:15:48

Very strange one! When DS was born the health visitor (who is a mother of 5 boys) told me that you can always tell when boys are coming down with something as their balls are saggy/deflated the day before. Certainly in the case of DS this is always true!

Is this common knowledge??

AuntieStella Mon 24-Feb-14 22:18:53

Never heard that one!

And as the DSes are teens, I don't think I'd be allowed to observe.

penguinplease Mon 24-Feb-14 22:23:24

Yes I know this, isn't it something to do with dehydration ?

If they have a temperature, the scrotum hangs further because it is trying to maintain an ambient temperature and can't do that next to a hot body! So I suppose if they are coming down with something and have a temperature, their balls will hang lower?

LiegeAndLief Wed 26-Feb-14 07:57:56

This is definitely true for ds. Guess it is to do with temperature?

crimsonwitch Wed 26-Feb-14 08:02:37

Wow, the things you learn on mn. I will be paying much more attention to ds1 and ds2s halls from now on. I think I'll give it a miss with do. grin

crimsonwitch Wed 26-Feb-14 08:04:19

How ca autocorrect not like the word balls ?
Stupid phone.

Sneezecakesmum Wed 26-Feb-14 10:59:58

The testicles descend more into the scrotum when the body is warm as they like to stay at just the right temperature, so it makes sense even though I've never heard it before!

mymatemax Wed 26-Feb-14 14:08:00

really, I fear my two are a little too old to allow a scrotum study!

EdithWeston Wed 26-Feb-14 14:10:49

Surely if you think your DS is running a temperature, you feel his forehead, not his scrotum shock

OuterFromOutersville Wed 26-Feb-14 14:13:03

grin

Pooka Wed 26-Feb-14 14:13:41

True for my ds1 and ds2.

Though I have to say, generally I am aware they are unwell by other means i.e. Forehead temp etc. The scrotum is NOT my go to body part of choice for assessing illness wink

But I have noticed it....

umiaisha Wed 26-Feb-14 15:59:10

Ha ha! The saggy balls are always noticeable the day before they get ill, before they get any other symptoms ie temperature, sickness etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now