Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bronchiolitis

(7 Posts)

my prem baby who is 9 months has Bronchiolitis.. I have a 2 year old and I was wondering will it affect him if he was to get it?(I think he has it because he is slightly like my prem baby) will he get as bad a my daughter? or will he cope a lot better??
any opinions or your experience on this would be very welcome smile thanks
Emma

Sirzy Thu 20-Feb-14 17:13:32

hope your baby is ok. If your 2 year old gets it it will most likely be 'just' a cold

hello sirzy... he's ok, he's coughing, runny nose, wont eat his food or drink anything, and very sleepy.. im just letting him rest and trying to give him plenty of water and calpol... he should be ok, but f he gets worse I have got the hospitals number at hand so,,.. just time will tell I suppose. thanks for your reply smile x

tacal Fri 21-Feb-14 19:50:01

hello, my ds had bronchiolitis a few times. The first time he was 6 weeks old and then a few times when he was older. The older he got the less severe it was. I hope your dc's are feeling better soon. You must be very worried. Best wishes x

christinarossetti Fri 21-Feb-14 19:54:48

Bronchiolitis tends to be less severe the older the child is, mainly because their bronchial airways are bigger, so a little bit of swelling isn't so significant.

Two is still very little though, so I'm sure that you're keeping a close eye on his breathing etc.

Hope that they both get better very soon.

Showy Fri 21-Feb-14 19:56:52

You say he won't drink anything and he is very sleepy. Can you clarify how much he is actually drinking? By sleepy, do you mean tired or is he lethargic/floppy? Can you rouse him easily?

Bronchiolitis is a very common virus in small children and in general, older children handle it much better because they have the reserves to cope with it and their airways are not so easily compromised. As with any virus, it's important to keep an eye on hydration, ability to rouse, breathing rate (no sucking in under ribs or around throat), clear of rashes etc.

Sorry your dc are poorly. It's miserable seeing them unwell.

hello showy sorry for the delay reply,, my kids are fine now, both just abit wheezy.. he was drinking about 30ml every 4/5 hours and refused to drink any more,, and he was just sleepy not floppy even tho my daughter was floppy.... did scare me but there both fine now thanks for everyones relies (got my son checked by Dr...)

both fine now smile
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now