Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler 'well' but not 'right'.

(18 Posts)
junkfoodaddict Tue 18-Feb-14 17:24:13

My just turned 2 year old DS has had no appetite since Thursday. He has eaten very little, drunk very little, won't walk anywhere and prefers to be carried. He plays still but often sits on the sofa with his blanket and teddy.
He got a cough/cold in October. GP said the cough/cold could go on for weeks and it has or he has literally contracted cold after cold!!! He is still suffering from a runny nose (candle sticks - sometimes clear, sometimes greeny/yellow), sneezing now and again, coughing in the morning and at night which is interfering with his sleep. He wakes up about midnight wheezy, rapid breathing and coughing. It is obvious this wakes him but he is not overly distressed by it but it can keep him awake for hours - four hours a night so far!
GP gave him an inhaler October 2012 when he got a nasty chest infection. GP refused to diagnose asthma (I am asthmatic) and refuses to diagnose until aged 3 but his inhaler has run out. I know I shouldn't but I often give him my own through his spacer (same medicine and dosage).
I am not sure if he is poorly!!! He certainly has a problem breathing comfortably at night time. Do you think I should see the GP? I'm not sure what to say as when I go through everything I sound like an OTT mother!!!

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 18-Feb-14 17:26:20

I would go back to GP, maybe ask to see a different one if current one makes you feel like you are being precious? Hope he gets better soon.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 18-Feb-14 17:27:27

I don't think you are being OTT btw.

Picklesauage Tue 18-Feb-14 18:26:33

Hi, just to reassure you my DD had a string of colds from 9mo to 20mo as well as a persistent cough. They did finally just disappear as her immunity built up. It wasn't fun having four million tissues stuffed up every sleeve and pocket for a year, but it didn't distress her. Occasionally she would get a temperature with it (I personally think this was during teething) and I would give calpol, but other than that she was fine. My doctor told me 10-12 colds a year for the first 2 years is normal!

The cough was a pain, occasionally it produced green snotty stuff. But generally just a cough. My Doc was very through and finally decided that the cough was all upper respiratory due to snottiness. This has eased with the reduction in colds know she is older.

So I guess I'm saying the cold thing is normal ime. However you do need more help around his cough. Even if it is just caused by the colds it is disturbing him and he needs help.

Sorry. This is a bit long!

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 18-Feb-14 18:44:18

Agree with pickles. I think lots of colds are normal and not worrying. It's the persistent nighttime cough, wheezing, difficulty breathing and not drinking much that would concerb me. (Not an hcp though, just another mum) .

Lots of doctors in my family and they always say when it comes to little ones trust your instincts and better to get them checked if you are worried.

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 18-Feb-14 20:57:28

Has he had chicken pox yet??? That often starts with a few days of illness before and visual signs appear x

ethelb Tue 18-Feb-14 21:01:12

Funny ears? If not an actual infection maybe bunged up or inflamed. It would explain the wanting to be carried as it can be disorientating.

ArtemisCake Tue 18-Feb-14 21:11:35

We were recently given some antihistamines from the dr for a persistent cough that woke my 2yr old DS up at night which really helped. I would go back to the dr.

Sillybillybob Fri 21-Feb-14 16:12:19

Definitely worth getting him looked at again. No doubt it will just be persistent viruses but it's worth going I think.

Chipandspuds Fri 21-Feb-14 16:37:41

I'd try and see another gp, it's probably just one cold after another, but the wheezing at night and coughing should be checked out.

Hopefully the weather will improve soon and we can have a rest from all these germs!

junkfoodaddict Mon 24-Feb-14 21:35:15

Took him to the GP on Friday. My CM phoned me to say he wasn't right. He had a temp. I managed to get the emergency appointment - I think because I said he's been ill since last Thursday, was getting worse not better, coughing until he wretched, runny nose, lethargic, no appetite and the HV was round on Thursday and also commented on his illness (very pale but red rimmed eyes).
GP did a thorough check - no pneumonia as first suspected when he saw him! phew! Chest clear but obviously a nasty cough. No ear infection. Said a virus. Temp 39.1. Advised OOH or A&E if worsens with breathing etc.
Over the weekend he has done nothing but lie on the sofa watching Sofia the First, feeling sleepy - refusing to walk anywhere, not eating, coughing until he was wretching/gagging half way through the night, brownish discharge from his nose (not a picker and oddly, no sneezing - just thick, runny stuff from time to time, the only thing that is slightly improving).
Today he refused to get out of bed. He eventually did but wanted to lie on the sofa. Refused his toys. Ate 1/3 of a bowl of cereal, full slice of toast mid-morning and a yoghurt but from then on, refused all food except for a few maltesers and a few quavers. He had an afternoon nap as usual but VERY hard to wake after an hour and a half. He just didn't want to do anything.
The cough is apparent during the day but worsens 10-fold at night, which I can to some point understand. But it is the lethargy and lack of appetite that is giving me more concern. Today has been day 12 of this illness; worsened on day 6.
So if I saw GP Friday afternoon, when id the best time for a return visit? Call me a PFB mothe, but I even contemplated asking for blood tests to find out WHAT is causing this. I guess I'm thinking low iron due to lack of eating or too many bug killer cells (whatever you call them) in his system?
Clutching at straws but I just want answers.

Sillybillybob Mon 24-Feb-14 22:10:11

Is take him back ASAP esp if he was hard to rouse.

catchingzeds Mon 24-Feb-14 22:15:27

If be concerned too, very young children are usually up and down when suffering with a virus or cold as in playing in between bouts of lethargy. If I were you I'd call 111 now and ask for advice.

catchingzeds Mon 24-Feb-14 22:17:01

Is he drinking lots?

3littlefrogs Mon 24-Feb-14 22:25:18

OP. I am a nurse and have 3 children.
I would be straight back to the GP.
Does anyone in your family smoke?
Any pets?
Trust your instincts. Your DS is not well and I think he needs to be checked over again.

FoodieToo Tue 25-Feb-14 11:33:07

Hi there.

How did the GP ascertain that it was not pneumonia?
My son got pneumonia last year. Symptoms very like your child.
Ongoing temp,lethargy etc.
At the gP four times.
My son only had a little cough.
He had a very serious pneumonia that was only detected on x ray.

Definitely get him checked.

SapphireMoon Tue 25-Feb-14 12:07:14

Take him back to any GP available at surgery.
You are not being PFB. Things can start off viral and develop into something else.

blondefriend Tue 25-Feb-14 22:05:16

I don't know whether you got back to a GP but if you go to a medical professional then please get them to test his blood sugar. Viral infection coupled with poor appetite can cause them to drop quite dramatically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now