Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd 23 months just fell down the stairs

(25 Posts)
BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 16:50:39

From the very top all the way to the bottom. I fucking didn't take the teddies she was carrying off her and was a nanosecond too late to get hold of her hand. Could only run after her screaming as her little body rolled head over heels all the way down. She roared when she got to the bottom but unbelievably seems ok. Asked to watch peppa and is sitting beside me on couch. Has had water and expressed delight that ben and holly was on Dh is on his way.

What is the thing to do? A and E for a check? There is a huge storm forecast where we are now (Ireland). Or ring Gp? Or just keep close eye? The stairs are carpeted but she def bumped her head.

fuck.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 18-Dec-13 16:52:55

Keep an eye open, if she gets pale, sweaty or excessively sleepy, seek help, as it could be concussion. Otherwise, don't stress too much.

sweetiepie1979 Wed 18-Dec-13 16:54:31

Keep an eye that's what a And e would do. Put your hands round th e back of her neck see if you can feel any bumps. If she cried straightaway that's a good sign. My dd fell down stIrs bump bump bump absolutely fine they tend to bounce at this age. Don't worry it's ok.

BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 16:55:02

Thank you. She went very white as soon as I picked her up, from shock, normal colour now.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 18-Dec-13 16:55:06

Symptoms of concussion bute she sounds fine, and safer at home than out in the storm.

BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 16:56:31

Thank you sweetiepie.

my god bounce is the word.

No neck bumps I think.

5HundredUsernamesLater Wed 18-Dec-13 16:57:22

What an awful thing to happen to you both. Is there NHS direct in Ireland that you could ring for a medical opinion or maybe phone the GP for advice. If not I would keep a close eye and if anything at all concerns you I would take her to A+E. hope she is ok and you too.

isitme1 Wed 18-Dec-13 16:58:19

My ds (3) fell down the stairs last month.
He has a tube im his stomach to fees him
My youngest was in hospital due to bronchiolitis and when dh told me about him falling all I could imagine was his tube being torn out.
Thank God the only thing that he had to show was a small bruise on his head.

smile

MmeCinqAnneauxDor Wed 18-Dec-13 17:01:53

Oh, that is one of those awful moments that we all know and dread.

Keep and eye out for any signs of concussion, and get her checked if you are at all worried.

A doc once said to me that the kids who don't roar after a fall that you worry about. Always a good sign when they cry.

Cascumpec Wed 18-Dec-13 17:04:06

The same thing happened to mine when he was about a year old, I ran to stop him, missed by a heartbeat, and he went all the way down, hit the bend, turned the corner, tumbled down the last few steps and came to a stop to on the tiled floor. The neighbours could hear my scream. No injuries sustained! Phew.

3bunnies Wed 18-Dec-13 17:07:06

ice on the bump and we were told (by NHS direct) that if they are sick once it is ok but if they are sick more than once to go to a&e. Also if you have any then arnica cream on any bumps will reduce the bruising.

3bunnies Wed 18-Dec-13 17:09:23

Oh and I would invite her for a sleepover in your room on her mattress/ you sleep in her room just for tonight.

IAmADonkeyOnTheEdge Wed 18-Dec-13 17:15:12

I personally think it's A&E . Toddlers can sustain fractures with that mechanism of injury and are not hugely well equipped to tell us specifically about pain . Hope she ( and you - it's horrid for you ) is ok .

BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 17:43:39

Yes total horror show and me cutting stupid corners - of course dd will wait for me to get her hand - no she fucking won't she will step straight off with an armful of teddy!

ok she seems fine, will see if she'll have dinner in a bit.

isitme so glad your ds is ok, I hope the little one is doing better too x

I was about to take our stair gate down because my 23 month old takes herself up and down the stairs whenever she feels like it if dd1 leaves the gate open. Think I'll keep it on for a while now. Images of her falling downstairs make me shiver.

I hope she's ok x

IHeardMummyDissingParcelforce Wed 18-Dec-13 18:02:29

It's one of those times when you know you SHOULD go to A&E just to be sure, or you'll never stop worrying, but actually when you get there they just say 'Oh it looks fine' after asking the child their age and are they looking forward to Christmas, and tell you what to watch out for.

I am sure there are some subtle checks they are doing while all this seemingly inane stuff is happening, but being a non medical type I just assume I shouldn't have bothered, usually grin

Do keep an eye, but unless she is acting weird I'd err on the side of staying put.

Pooka Wed 18-Dec-13 18:05:58

Ds2 did the same. Down one flight. Round 90 degree turn. Down second flight. Had massive bumps on either side of head.

I took him to A&E. He was observed and checked over thoroughly but no harm done thank god. Huge huge bruises that looked like devils horns. Was horrible.

BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 18:12:44

Just rang best friend who's a nurse, not sure why I didn't do that first!
She could hear dd shouting at me in the background and verdict was I'd be sent home from a and e. Said they really do just bounce at this age...

Ok, there's a code red weather alert tonight so I'm going to stay put and watch like a hawk. Thanks all for support and not judging!

MickeyBaubles Wed 18-Dec-13 18:22:30

brew for you BitScary

Hope you are okay. My GP always says just keep checking the pupils Mickey...it has happened to me a lot. DD2 believes she is a stunt baby and has done from birth. Has body surfed the stairs three times.
Nursery tell me the same, she can seemingly trip over air.
Noone worth their salt will judge you - it is a rite of passage for most and many of us ok me have had far worse fblush
I once let go of a handled bike on a hill so DD1 could go faster [facepalm]

IHeardMummyDissingParcelforce Wed 18-Dec-13 18:55:52

I am glad your nurse friend has said that! Very reassuring.

Hope the storm passes uneventfully xxx

Oh how scary for you, glad she's ok!

My DS JUMPED down the stairs at 2yo. Was the slowest 10 seconds of my life. We ended up in A&E as he needed stitches in his chin after bashing it on a step on the way down, we don't have carpet on them sad

PeanutPatty Wed 18-Dec-13 19:08:00

V wise to stay at home. Sounds like she's if fine. She didn't black out, vomit etc. If you did go to a&e they wouldn't do any scans or anything they'd do standard obs, give you a sheet with things to look out for and send you home sharpish.

sykadelic15 Wed 18-Dec-13 19:36:58

I'm 30 now but as a young girl I was a quite a tomboy. I have a dint in my forehead from falling on a jagged belt, one in my eyebrow from JUMPING off the table into a bean bag (missed and hit a foot stool), 2 on my chin (again jumping off the table into the bean bag, didn't learn my lesson), 1 scar on each arm (barely visible) from plowing throw a glass door... fingers, knees (coming off bikes, falling over)... you name it. I'm still alive but I think I took years off mum!

I think you did the right thing and I'm glad you're feeling better. Just keep an eye on her and remember to write it in her baby book so you can laugh at her when SHE'S a mum at all the torture she put you through :P

MmeCinqAnneauxDor Wed 18-Dec-13 19:43:17

Just saw this and thought of you

We all need this security guard to follow our kids around.

Glad she's ok. Stay safe tonight. Sounds like it's going to be a wild night.

BitScary Wed 18-Dec-13 21:06:30

Oh dear! That dad must be feeling even worse than me having been caught on camera!
Dd was full of beans when dh got home. Played, sang, ate 3-course dinner. Had a good look at her when she was in the bath. She has carpet burn on her cheek but otherwise seems completely unscathed. Thanking all the gods that it was a carpet stairs she fell on because we have wooden stairs too. Those of you with tales about the 90-degree bend and continuing fall - shudder.
Yep, the wind is really kicking off here. Stay safe everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now