Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS vs the salbumtamol inhaler

(14 Posts)

Any tips on getting a toddler to use inhaler without serious force?

Had a bit of a horrendous weekend with DS (18 mo) beibg taken by ambulance to hospital with suspected meningitis. Turns out its a chest infection with added non blanching rash which doesn't come from any of the issues they tested for. However he did have a bad time breathing and had salbumtamol in hospital and then they have sent us away with inhaler of it and a reducing dose for 13 days, starting with a day of 10 sprays times 10 breaths every 4 hours. So I have to hold this thing on his face for 100 breaths every 4 hours.

He is extremely stubborn gets worked in to a really agitated state very quickly and is amazingly strong.

Two of us can just about manage to do it but he screams so much he holds his breath....it absolutely breaks my heart. I have tried reasoning and have managed to get him to voluntarily do it counting to ten twice. ..this is obviously no where near the amount he is supposed to be taking.

Does anyone know. ..is a couple of times every four hours going to help at all?

His cough and breathing are actually much better even without the inhaler

BabyHaribo Mon 16-Dec-13 20:09:23

My DS is a bit older (23 months) but also just started on salbutamol.

It's not ideal but can you bribe him with something? I am asthmatic so it's likely DS might be I really don't want him to hate the inhaler or it become an issue so we are bribing with chocolate buttons! He gets his chocolate if he takes his puffer. We also used the puffer on various teddies and mummy and daddy have had turns too.

grumpalumpgrumped Mon 16-Dec-13 20:37:16

Which spacer does he have, ds1 was given a volumatic which he hated, swapped to a aerochamber which was much better. We used to sing a song (puffer train). We also let him play with the spacer with teddies etc.

grumpalumpgrumped Mon 16-Dec-13 20:38:46

Also both my boys have found it less distressing doing it in front of a mirror as they could see what was happening (does that make sense?)

Sirzy Mon 16-Dec-13 20:59:42

allow him to play with the spacer inbetween doses, pretend to give inhaler to teddies, or to you just to make him realise its not scary.

Instead of counting sing a song if that helps keep him calm.

Distract with TV, bribe with chocolate.

Have tried bribing... and pretending on me/dad/nana/teddies...he will happily tive it to all of us but not take it himself! Hes been playing with it and taken in bath all of wgich he is happy to do.

The counting worked I think because hes in a stage of learning to count to 10 which he loves. But This only works a couple of times

I will try the mirror thanks for the suggestion and ask them to change the spacer too

Laststop Mon 16-Dec-13 21:25:04

My ds is 20 months and has puffers everyday was a total nightmare at first but slowly getting used to it the doctors said when he is getting worked up dont worry as his breathing will speed up a little and this will help with the amount he actually takes if that makes any sense (sorry for going on )

Sirzy Mon 16-Dec-13 21:44:32

If needs be then wrap him in a big blanket, hug him close and do it that way. Its not pleasant but its better than the alternative.

I had to do that to DS when he first started on them, now he is 4 and happily takes his inahlers.

You may find them unwilling to change the spacer, our local hospital much prefer you to use the volumatic spacers as apparently they are more efficient than others, I do have a smaller one for keeping in my handbag but only on the understanding that for regular use I use the bigger one.

grumpalumpgrumped Mon 16-Dec-13 21:51:24

Didn't know that about spacers sirzy, GP never said. Makes sense as volumatic was from hospital. Worth thinking about, what age up to? Until a spacer is no longer needed? (what age is that?)

Sirzy Mon 16-Dec-13 22:01:49

Spacers are recommended for all ages now. From what the hospital have said the voulmtic is reccomended about others at all ages, but for practical reasons the smaller ones are handy.

roweeena Mon 16-Dec-13 22:02:10

I know it feels mean but my DS we just had to hold him down for it (first night in the hospital was hideous as he had to have 30 in a row and then 10 every hour. He kicked and screamed and hated it.

Now he is gradually beginning to realise it helps to make him feel better and that kicking and screaming just makes it worse. Now he doesn't like it but will have it everyday.

What is worrying is tonight he just woke up asking for it. So basically it seems mean but if you hold him down the job gets done and he will eventually get used to it

MonstersBalls Mon 16-Dec-13 22:11:40

I was told that crying helped because they suck more in.

I also held it over ds while he was asleep, just touching but not enough to wake him. My ds has needed it about once a year for an infection so I do let him play with the spacer quite a lot.

Partialtocheese Mon 16-Dec-13 23:40:45

DD is 23 months and just diagnosed. She raised holy hell for the first few days, which meant we had to make her do it. Really awful and I totally sympathise with you. Anyway, then I told her that if she held it herself and breathed 5 times with no tears she would get a sticker. Now she can almost do it herself ( needs a bit of help getting it the right way up and sealing round mouth/nose). I'm amazed at how much she can do herself now. Forcing her was so awful, but what do you do when they won't take it?
Stickers, it appears, are more powerful even than chocolate... Maybe try that!

Deb2202 Tue 17-Dec-13 04:04:45

You have my sympathies it's difficult when they are so young. The asthma nurse told us if desperate to strap him in a pushchair then put the mask over and once puffed hold it at his chin if you see what I mean, so even if they thrash from side to side you can keep it on his face. Although wrapping in blanket sounds good as no arms. Luckily we didn't need to resort to that but many renditions of this little piggy on his toes while doing it distracted him or putting him in front of the tv.

He got used to it very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now