Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD just had fixed brace fitted yesterday and is in agony

(52 Posts)
hanette Sun 01-Dec-13 16:26:49

Have given her paracetamol and ibuprofen but she's still in a lot of pain. Any advice? She's in tears. She's 12 next month. Thanks in advance

YoucancallmeQueenBee Wed 04-Dec-13 12:18:42

Aw your poor DD Hanette. My eldest has a mouth full of metal at the moment & was in real pain for the first few days. I maxed him out on paracetamol & ibuprofen too. Made him go to bed early too, as I said that he'd notice it less asleep! I don't think there is much else you can do really.

EeyoreIsh Wed 04-Dec-13 12:11:18

totally worth the pain though...

bishboschone Wed 04-Dec-13 12:05:54

The teeth get moved so yes it hurts .. Quite a lot !!! The initial fitting hurts as the metal is sharp on the inside of your mouth . It gets tightened every fee weeks and then it all starts over again with pain hmm

Sparklingbrook Wed 04-Dec-13 11:41:37

I think it's an ache that DS gets Tuhlulah, his teeth are moving after all so i guess they will.

He has train tracks top and bottom.

Tuhlulah Wed 04-Dec-13 11:09:43

I had no idea that having braces hurt! My DS is on NHS waiting list (2 years to wait to see if he needed then when it was quite obvious he would, now another 2 years to get to the top of the list -is this a deliberate ploy to make us pay privately?). But no one told us about the pain!

Is it specific types of brace that hurt?

AttackOfTheKillerMonsterSnowGo Tue 03-Dec-13 23:48:58

Remember this well from 25 odd years ago! It does hurt when you get them tightened, a d you can eat much the next day. My DDad used to take me out for a huuggggeee meal immediately after they'd been tightened so I wouldn't feel as sad about not being able to manage dinner!

Worth it for lovely teeth, if she has a fixed brace though then make sur enough help her clean round the metal parts. I had to have two crowns fitted about 5 years after my braces came off because the teeth inside the metal bands had decayed.

hanette Tue 03-Dec-13 23:43:53

Lama so brave of you - it'll be worth it (at least at 39 you can have a glass of wine to dull the pain!)

Sparkling - you're a star - that's absolutely right, it feels so awful at the time, funny what a difference 48 hours makes x

Cuppa soups were my saviour 25 years ago. Each time they were adjusted it took a couple of days to get the bite back so I drank heaps of them.

It was def worth it although I wish I had worn my retainer for the full year instead of the minimum 6 months

LamaDrama Tue 03-Dec-13 23:35:45

I had one fitted 6 weeks ago & Im ahem - over 39! blush

My god, I cried the first night & wondered was it worth it, & the headache was like a hangover!

Its all worth it,

Glad shes feeling better grin x

Sparklingbrook Tue 03-Dec-13 23:31:37

Oh that's brilliant hanette. When they are so upset it's hard to believe it will get better, really stressful for all.

hanette Tue 03-Dec-13 23:29:28

Hi sparkling thanks so much for checking in. She's a million times better thanks. Off school yesterday, went all pale and waxy looking, probably from lack of sleep and food but today has bounced back to normal. It's been great having all the advice - thank you grin x

Sparklingbrook Tue 03-Dec-13 18:06:35

Things any better hanette?

mummyto2boysandagirl3 Sun 01-Dec-13 21:36:08

Hope ur dd is feeling better today

Anbesol is much better for ulsers than bonjela they sell it in boots but u have to ask at the pharmacy for it.

Please make sure that ur dc wear the retainer and continue to wear it once the fixed come off. When I had mine they told me to wear the retainer for a year my teeth looked fab all the pain was worth it then my teeth moved drastically during pregnancy and it's just cost me best part of £300 to have some filler put in to reduce a humongous gap in my front teeth!! My dentist said the advice is not to wear ur retainer indefinitely as otherwise ur teeth will move back eventually. My dh and sil also both had braces and they're teeth r crooked again granted not as bad but it's so important to keep wearing that retainer !!

nomorecrumbs Sun 01-Dec-13 18:17:32

Oh I remember brace wax! Had forgotten about that. My bottom brace used to leave sore, deep impressions on my inner lip every night. I have to say I don't miss that.

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 01-Dec-13 18:15:32

I've run (metaphorically) to this thread to say I agree with everyone else - yes, it really, really does hurt! Both at the initial fitting and after tightenings.

Pain killers +++ and brace wax, as I found bottom braces were very sore on the inside of my mouth.

It was worth it though, I'm very glad I had mine done.

Sunnysummer Sun 01-Dec-13 18:12:15

Oops, posted too soon! Probably other cold but healthier things help too, but ice cream helps the soul as well as the jaw smile

Sunnysummer Sun 01-Dec-13 18:10:16

Ice cream helps too!

bellablot Sun 01-Dec-13 18:08:42

Oh I remember this pain well it's utterly horrid. She probably won't eat for a few days, soup is a good option, burnt pizza not (the memories! hmm). However, it shall improve after 3 days or so, keep her dosed up and she'll be fine.

SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 01-Dec-13 18:04:14

ooh, this is bringing back memories. I clearly recall fantasising about injecting ice into my gums after having my brace tightened! Looking back, not sure how that would've helped wink

It's HORRID, but as everyone says, it does pass fairly rapidly. You often get sore spots when the brace is tightened, too, as it rubs against new places - as someone else said, swilling with warm salt water helps. Huge sympathies, but it is worth it; I had about three years of extractions, fixed braces, normal braces, those big external ones (only in the evenings, thank heaven) - and now have nice, straight teeth. thanks for her; wine for you!

yourcruisedirector Sun 01-Dec-13 17:45:42

Yes I've been told that I'll have a permanent retaining wire behind my teeth when I'm done with braces (and surgery!) and I don't mind that.

Salt water rinsing is the best thing for the ulcers really, that and putting the wax over the brace as soon as it starts to rub.

i was told to use fluoride mouthwash and I have beeen told that Corsodyl stains teeth but not by my orthodontist.

Homsa Sun 01-Dec-13 17:31:40

I don't have any memory of pain after the brace fitted (about 30 years ago!), but I do remember the agony each time it was adjusted. No painkillers for me, my mum was didn't think children should have them :-(
It was worth it - I looked like a vampire! - I just wish they'd done the same as they did for my DH (who also had a fixed brace), which was to cement a wire to the back of his bottom front teeth when they took the brace off. His teeth are still beautifully straight, mine have gone a bit crooked...
DS will need braces in a couple of years' time and I'm dreading it, he's autistic and not good with pain at all :-(

ReluctantBeing Sun 01-Dec-13 17:16:48

I remember that pain. It's the same again every time you have it adjusted too. Plenty of nurofen.

ThistledownAndCobweb Sun 01-Dec-13 17:14:33

How odd Eeyore, mine recommended it.

hanette Sun 01-Dec-13 17:12:56

Aww thanks ladies

She had painkillers around 30 mins ago and has fallen asleep (she never sleeps in daytime). A good sign I'd say as it must've deadened the pain enough to catch up on sleep, she was awake loads last night

Ha ha bishbosch I wish I'd thought of that when I was 12 wink

EeyoreIsh Sun 01-Dec-13 17:05:24

thistle I was told not to use corsodyl by both orthodontist and dentist as it stains teeth, and they're more susceptible to staining with a brace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now