Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

how much emolient do you use?

(3 Posts)
cookiejam Sat 30-Nov-13 08:33:55

My ds is 8yrs and was originally prescribed one 500g tub of emolient a month for eczema. This wasn't quite enough so I managed to get the prescription raised to two tubs a month. A year on and several inches of growth later I have just seen a derm who recommends using a tub a week!
Was just wondering how much everybody else gets through, my gp is not very happy having to now prescribe 4 tubs monthly for ds!

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sat 30-Nov-13 08:40:04

It must depend on how big DC is? We use about a 500ml tub of doublebase a month-ish, less in summer when his skin is happier, more if he's swimming. (Though I am a bit prone to pinching a bit for myself too blush).

Silly question, but are you happy your DC has a suitable cream? I could use whole tubs of E45 on DS and he'd still be sore <bitter experience> whereas a thin film of doublebase works nicely.

cookiejam Sat 30-Nov-13 09:06:21

He's the tallest in his class, but not by a huge amount, only about an inch and is average weight.
He is using hydromol at the minute and it seems to be fine, just that if I apply it less than 5 times a day it goes red and sore and then meeds steroids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now