Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

22 week old diarrhoea and crying

(6 Posts)
webminx Thu 28-Nov-13 20:47:43

22 week old woke up last night at 1am crying. Didn't need nappy changed and when offered milk, only drank 2 oz. Had been sleeping through since 12 weeks, so unusual, but I thought was once off. All day today, has been bit whingy and unsettled at naps. Has had 7 pooey nappies today, at least 6 of them like diarrhoea but yellow in colour. He is now up, downstairs with us as he was crying again and has just done another diarrhoea nappy - this time, green in colour and still watery/with bits in (sorry for TMI). Seems ok in himself otherwise, just bit whingey. We had been weaning him - for the last three days, he's had one cube of pureed apple at lunchtime (has so far had pear, apple, rice) which he loves and showed no problems after.
Basically, what do I do? Keep offering milk, obviously, but shoudl I contact GP? Could this be a virus? Any ideas?

rachyconks Thu 28-Nov-13 20:51:22

Sounds exactly like how my DD was when she had a tummy bug. She was the same age. Yellowy diarrhoea with curds/lumps, crying and whinging, refusing food & milk. She had the runny nappies for 2/3 days then a bit if sickness (only sick 2/3 times), then took about another 2/3 days for the nappies to go back to near normal again.

Keep offering milk and if refusing, give diaoralyte. Babies lose a lot of fluid through diarrhoea.

Hope things are better soon!

gamerchick Thu 28-Nov-13 20:53:52

Tummy bug.. it'll pass just ride it out.

Hope he's on the mend soon.

webminx Thu 28-Nov-13 20:56:15

Thanks Rachyconks! Some feeds he's been v keen on and others today, not so much so will just keep offering and will pick up some dioralyte tomorrow. Hope he feels better over the weekend. Looks like we're in for a fun night ;-)

webminx Sun 01-Dec-13 20:16:43

Thanks both! So, it's STILL ongoing. Poor sausage still has between 7-10 pretty nasty nappies every day; some quite big, others just little surprises (!). He's now getting a nappy rash so we're whacking on metanium at every opportunity. Am going to make a GP appointment tomorrow if he's still not right by the morning. But wonder if there's anything they can really do at this age except tell me to keep him hydrated. He's not off his milk and is still mostly happy as usual, so fingers crossed it's just a horrid bug...

rachyconks Sun 01-Dec-13 21:44:21

That will be the advice the GP will give you, especially if he is happy taking the milk. Worth the trip anyway just to get him checked over. GP will always be happy to see a sick baby as a priority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now