Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol avoidance - but when to give?

(60 Posts)
hillbilly Fri 22-Nov-13 16:18:16

I'm quite anti medicating for the sake of it, and figure that a high temp is the body trying to heal itself (this is on the doctor's advice btw). DD ((8) has had a temp of 39.6 for the last 2 hours. Should I give her paracetamol or wait a while?

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 24-Nov-13 12:32:35

I didn't mean tepid water, I meant like a normal bath. I know you don't use cold or cool water as it can make it worse.

Thanks for the info on the disprol, might give it a go smile

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 24-Nov-13 10:59:07

OhWhatAPalaver using tepid water is not a recommended way of trying to lower a temperature as it fools the body into thinking its cooling and stimulates a compensatory effect, the body then heats itself up further.

In all the years I've been nursing it's never been recommended.

bumbleymummy Sun 24-Nov-13 10:50:42

Ohwhatapalaver - I don't know how you feel about Saccharin but you could use disprol as an alternative. It's soluble paracetamol and is suitable from 3 months - dosages are given on the packet. We usually dissolve it in water and then mix it with a bit of juice/smoothie and they drink it with a straw.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 24-Nov-13 09:54:15

I know this thread has a lot info in it but i dont think anyone has mentioned the E numbers and parabens in calpol. Parabens have been linked to hormone inbalance and ealry onset of puberty so for this reason I rarely give my dd calpol. Only if she is clearly in pain or has a v high temp. There are plenty of other ways to reduce temp, bathing in warm water (not cold or hot) works very well.
I wish there was something available to give them that wasn't full of crap. sad

PennySillin Sat 23-Nov-13 20:36:16

I'm a minor illness nurse and DH is a GP. I have recently updated our GPs on the new guidelines. As others have said it is not advisable or beneficial to use paracetamol as a temp reducing medication but to use it as a pain killer is fine. Treat the child not the temp. Most children with high temps alone are not picked up anyway as it's usually the distress that causes parents to take their temp.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:44:19

Must be moving a bit slower in your area. smile

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:41:13

one not on

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:40:51

really? I haven't met on.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:19:47

More and more doctors are following the guidelines. If you decide not to then that's fine but I don't think you should be telling other people not to.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:14:26

oh you can do what you like.

But yes to my mind you should.

I have never met a doctor who suggested otherwise

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:11:09

I didn't say they were telling me to. I said they think the guidelines are wrong and that you should always medicate a fever.

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 17:06:00

Bumbly that isn't true is it?

Some people are saying that they always medicate for a fever.

No one is telling you to.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 16:46:30

you put me very much in mind of an out of hours doctor I once met

paper - ds is running a temperature I'd very much like you to check if he has an infection. ds has a history of temperature related seizures therefore I like to get any possible causes nipped in the bud quick

dr- let me reassure you ms paperlantern guidelines tell us children over 5 grow out of seizures

me- so if ds pulls this face and his head starts jerking to one I shouldn't worry because guidelines say he has grown out of it?

dr- blush ohh..... lets get your son properly checked out

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 16:22:54

Purple, I linked to that up thread but some people seem to think the guidelines are wrong and you should always medicate for a fever.

purplewithred Sat 23-Nov-13 14:57:29

Having had my rant, i happily gave calpol willy nilly to my kids if they were feeling off colour.

purplewithred Sat 23-Nov-13 14:53:56

official advice here: [[http://publications.nice.org.uk/feverish-illness-in-children-cg160/recommendations#antipyretic-interventions-2 ]]

I quote "Antipyretic agents do not prevent febrile convulsions and should not be used specifically for this purpose"

"Consider using either paracetamol or ibuprofen in children with fever who appear distressed. "

I agree a febrile convulsion is horrid and scary but current research says it is cause by the speed at which a temperature changes, not the temperature itself. So a child can have a convulsion at 38 degrees, or not have one at over 40. Advice is as above: there's b all you can do about it.

Please please read the guidelines and pass them on.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 14:40:46

Paper, so you're suggesting that the NICE guidelines are wrong then? Btw if you read them they also don't recommend alternating paracetamol and ibubrofen either.

MrsDV, both my boys have fevers without being overly poorly otherwise. They're still eating, drinking and playing. Obviously every child is different but some have a fever with a mild cold and aside from being a bit warm and sniffley they're otherwise fine. Some people reach for the calpol anyway because the thermometer says their temp is over 38 others will look at the child and let them get on with it because they are fine otherwise.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 13:21:45

I probably was somewhat anti medicating.

until I realised what a difference the right medication makes

I still shake my head at how much I put everyone through trying to avoid medicating. ds now sleeps 4 hours a night and poos thanks to the wonders of modern medication.
grin

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 11:04:45

There isn't a problem.

I understand that some parents try to hold off giving any sort of medication unless absolutely necessary.

I can't judge this too harshly because I was a bit like this when my eldest DCs were little. I wasn't anti medicine but I was bought up the 'walk it off' 'don't make a fuss' way (I am 46).

But as I said up thread, all that flew out the window after DD got ill.

If you can give a child morphine and steroids strong enough to kill them, a bit of paracetamol is meaningless.

Also I am now anxious to catch things before they develop.

We all have our own reasons and as long as the child is not suffering from the lack of medication or because of an excess, I think its all fine.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 10:20:10

what is the problem with giving paracetamol (especially for a temperature) anyway?confused

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 09:45:22

also you don't allow it to wear off. doctors have always recommended to me giving paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately (ibuprofen first if possible) therefore you control the temperature round the clock.

This was recommended with both dd and ds

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 09:22:31

not sure it's worth my while explaining againhmm

no it will not prevent convulsions. certainly not in every case.

it will control a temperature as rapid changes in temperature or a high temperature are thought to be a contributing factor. makes sense to control the temperature. no?

as actually there is comparatively few side effects of paracetamol but there are quite serious effects of a high temperature the lesser of two evils to my mind is by far and away giving paracetamol.

ds can get violent shivers just getting out the shower. no it will not prevent that
However

I have learnt there are signs of a bug prior to temperature which I which watch very carefully. so yes I have been able to get calpol in as the temperature shot up. in one case as I explained earlier this preventing it turning into a full scale fit.

so yes in this case paracetamol (or it might have been ibuprofen) prevented the fit. Not because it prevented the fit directly but because it helped ds to regulate the temperature

biscuit

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 08:30:32

I do not recall any of mine ever having a temperature and feeling well.

I usually notice they are feeling poorly before I take their temp. I didn't own a thermometer before DD got cancer. You can generally tell if a small child has a fever.
Even my GP only uses a strip one.

I bloody hate digital ones (I won't derail with a rant though grin )

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 23-Nov-13 08:12:49

I never check temp unless my children are feeling unwell. So no I wouldn't be giving paracetamol willy nilly for a temp with unaccompanied symptoms. Mine usually do feel unwell if they have a temp though. And it is often accompanied with pain somewhere - head/ ears / achey etc.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 07:59:15

That's great hillbilly smile they can bounce back so quickly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now