Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol avoidance - but when to give?

(60 Posts)
hillbilly Fri 22-Nov-13 16:18:16

I'm quite anti medicating for the sake of it, and figure that a high temp is the body trying to heal itself (this is on the doctor's advice btw). DD ((8) has had a temp of 39.6 for the last 2 hours. Should I give her paracetamol or wait a while?

paperlantern Fri 22-Nov-13 22:42:57

what mrs de vere said!!!!

hillbilly Fri 22-Nov-13 23:01:02

Nothing wrong with it at all Larkin. I have just found that as the children get older, that I am more inclined to "allow" them just to be a bit under the weather without rushing to medicate.

MrsDeVere and Paperlantern - I get you.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 07:24:40

Paper, then you should be aware of the NICE guidelines:

"Antipyretic agents do not prevent febrile convulsions and should not be used specifically for this purpose."

Some useful info about managing fevers here sections 1.6 and 1.7 are probably most relevant to this discussion.

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 23-Nov-13 07:34:48

What ill effects does infant/ junior paracetamol have on children though?
If I feel ill I'd take pain relief so why not give it to a child?

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 07:41:18

bumbley - have you actually read my postsconfused

bronya Sat 23-Nov-13 07:45:32

I had a chat with my GP about this last week. DS is teething badly and we've had to give calpol once a day or so for a few days as he was literally banging his head against the floor with pain. I was worried DS was having it too often, but GP said that in the correct dosage Paracetamol is very safe, and not to worry. So definitely give it for fever!

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 07:53:54

I have never met a doctor who hasn't recommended paracetamol to manage a fever.

(bangs head against wall) no paracetamol does not prevent seizures, I do not give paracetamol to prevent a seizure directly.

i give it to manage a temperature, which in turn manages the likelihood of a seizure.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 07:55:03

Yes, you seem to think that it will regulate a temperature and reduce the chance of a convulsion despite convulsions usually happening before people even realise a child is sick. In my cousin's case, he would be playing happily and the next he would be having a convulsion. How exactly does giving paracetamol stop that from happening/reduce the chance of the happening. I know you admitted that it won't stop a convulsion but I'm not sure how you can then think it will reduce the chance of one.

Mary, there's nothing wrong with giving it for pain relief - it's just that some people will automatically reach for the Calpol if their child's temperature creeps above 38 even if they are otherwise fine. You wouldn't take a couple of paracetamol if you were feeling ok would you?

hillbilly Sat 23-Nov-13 07:57:44

DD had no pain which is why I held off with the calpol.

She vomited in the middle of the night and is right as rain again this morning.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 07:58:23

How paper? In most cases the seizures happen before people even realise their child is ill. Once they have the fever they are less likely to happen. In fact, you could argue that reducing the temp to normal with paracetamol actually gives more opportunity for it to spike again when it wears off...

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 07:59:15

That's great hillbilly smile they can bounce back so quickly!

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 23-Nov-13 08:12:49

I never check temp unless my children are feeling unwell. So no I wouldn't be giving paracetamol willy nilly for a temp with unaccompanied symptoms. Mine usually do feel unwell if they have a temp though. And it is often accompanied with pain somewhere - head/ ears / achey etc.

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 08:30:32

I do not recall any of mine ever having a temperature and feeling well.

I usually notice they are feeling poorly before I take their temp. I didn't own a thermometer before DD got cancer. You can generally tell if a small child has a fever.
Even my GP only uses a strip one.

I bloody hate digital ones (I won't derail with a rant though grin )

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 09:22:31

not sure it's worth my while explaining againhmm

no it will not prevent convulsions. certainly not in every case.

it will control a temperature as rapid changes in temperature or a high temperature are thought to be a contributing factor. makes sense to control the temperature. no?

as actually there is comparatively few side effects of paracetamol but there are quite serious effects of a high temperature the lesser of two evils to my mind is by far and away giving paracetamol.

ds can get violent shivers just getting out the shower. no it will not prevent that
However

I have learnt there are signs of a bug prior to temperature which I which watch very carefully. so yes I have been able to get calpol in as the temperature shot up. in one case as I explained earlier this preventing it turning into a full scale fit.

so yes in this case paracetamol (or it might have been ibuprofen) prevented the fit. Not because it prevented the fit directly but because it helped ds to regulate the temperature

biscuit

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 09:45:22

also you don't allow it to wear off. doctors have always recommended to me giving paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately (ibuprofen first if possible) therefore you control the temperature round the clock.

This was recommended with both dd and ds

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 10:20:10

what is the problem with giving paracetamol (especially for a temperature) anyway?confused

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 11:04:45

There isn't a problem.

I understand that some parents try to hold off giving any sort of medication unless absolutely necessary.

I can't judge this too harshly because I was a bit like this when my eldest DCs were little. I wasn't anti medicine but I was bought up the 'walk it off' 'don't make a fuss' way (I am 46).

But as I said up thread, all that flew out the window after DD got ill.

If you can give a child morphine and steroids strong enough to kill them, a bit of paracetamol is meaningless.

Also I am now anxious to catch things before they develop.

We all have our own reasons and as long as the child is not suffering from the lack of medication or because of an excess, I think its all fine.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 13:21:45

I probably was somewhat anti medicating.

until I realised what a difference the right medication makes

I still shake my head at how much I put everyone through trying to avoid medicating. ds now sleeps 4 hours a night and poos thanks to the wonders of modern medication.
grin

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 14:40:46

Paper, so you're suggesting that the NICE guidelines are wrong then? Btw if you read them they also don't recommend alternating paracetamol and ibubrofen either.

MrsDV, both my boys have fevers without being overly poorly otherwise. They're still eating, drinking and playing. Obviously every child is different but some have a fever with a mild cold and aside from being a bit warm and sniffley they're otherwise fine. Some people reach for the calpol anyway because the thermometer says their temp is over 38 others will look at the child and let them get on with it because they are fine otherwise.

purplewithred Sat 23-Nov-13 14:53:56

official advice here: [[http://publications.nice.org.uk/feverish-illness-in-children-cg160/recommendations#antipyretic-interventions-2 ]]

I quote "Antipyretic agents do not prevent febrile convulsions and should not be used specifically for this purpose"

"Consider using either paracetamol or ibuprofen in children with fever who appear distressed. "

I agree a febrile convulsion is horrid and scary but current research says it is cause by the speed at which a temperature changes, not the temperature itself. So a child can have a convulsion at 38 degrees, or not have one at over 40. Advice is as above: there's b all you can do about it.

Please please read the guidelines and pass them on.

purplewithred Sat 23-Nov-13 14:57:29

Having had my rant, i happily gave calpol willy nilly to my kids if they were feeling off colour.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 16:22:54

Purple, I linked to that up thread but some people seem to think the guidelines are wrong and you should always medicate for a fever.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 16:46:30

you put me very much in mind of an out of hours doctor I once met

paper - ds is running a temperature I'd very much like you to check if he has an infection. ds has a history of temperature related seizures therefore I like to get any possible causes nipped in the bud quick

dr- let me reassure you ms paperlantern guidelines tell us children over 5 grow out of seizures

me- so if ds pulls this face and his head starts jerking to one I shouldn't worry because guidelines say he has grown out of it?

dr- blush ohh..... lets get your son properly checked out

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Nov-13 17:06:00

Bumbly that isn't true is it?

Some people are saying that they always medicate for a fever.

No one is telling you to.

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:11:09

I didn't say they were telling me to. I said they think the guidelines are wrong and that you should always medicate a fever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now