Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sore dry patch from milk dribble - ideas without resorting to "mild steroid" cream, as advised by uncaring pharmacist

(18 Posts)
missperelman Thu 21-Nov-13 21:03:00

hello, baby has a dry patch where the breast milk dribbles down at night, i keep it as dry as possible and sometimes put some calendula nappy cream, there but nothing's changing over 3 weeks or more. does one have to get steroid cream -as advised by a pharmacist - or is there a nicer alternative? thankyou!!

Clutterbugsmum Thu 21-Nov-13 21:23:55

What about E45 cream.

I used it with both my dd, who had very dry skin when born. And with DS who has mild eczema when he gets hot.

BikeRunSki Thu 21-Nov-13 21:32:47

Sudocreme to clear it up (really!), then Vaseline to protect it.

DS had this for months, nothing helped apart from steroid cream (I tried everything)
Good luck though

MysteriousHamster Thu 21-Nov-13 21:36:21

Vaseline or sudocrem as a barrier?

Faverolles Thu 21-Nov-13 21:37:35

Lansinoh is brilliant for this.
Dry the area then smear some on.

AuditAngel Thu 21-Nov-13 21:38:30

I was given a balm from l'Occitaine when pregnant that was all natural, like goose grease. Maybe that?

Fandan Thu 21-Nov-13 21:39:03

I use lansinoh too, it's great on dry patches etc

GeeinItLaldy Thu 21-Nov-13 21:40:54

Another vote for Lansinoh.

progfan Thu 21-Nov-13 21:42:36

My doctor told me to use Vaseline on my baby when he had very sore skin on his face.

AuditAngel Thu 21-Nov-13 21:44:06
CrazyOldCatLady Thu 21-Nov-13 21:56:53

Lansinoh is great, or Vaseline.

Also get some really good bibs. DS had horrible dribble rash all down his neck and chest till we got some Silly Billyz, which have an extra elasticated bit of fabric that sits close to the neck and catches the dribble really effectively. It cleared up within a few days after that.

missperelman Thu 21-Nov-13 22:26:20

thankyou all so much x

Vaseline?

missperelman Thu 21-Nov-13 22:35:54

sorry just to add, lansinoh for nipples; are you sure it is ok for baby's face? also vaseline yes, i agree as barrier, but if it has become "fungal" as the pharmacist said it may have done...are you sure a barrier cream would be of much use in the long run? thankyou x

Icedfinger Fri 22-Nov-13 05:55:14

Lansinoh for nipples is safe to go in a babies mouth so is safe for the face.

earlgray Fri 22-Nov-13 06:11:48

Surely if its fungal then steroid cream is not the right treatment anyway? I would see a different pharmacist.
My HV recommends lansinoh for chapped lips, it will be fine on baby's face.

MysteriousHamster Fri 22-Nov-13 10:24:40

I would see a doctor if you are unsure whether fungal or just irritated.

If fungal will need an anti-fungal cream or gel, like canestan etc, but you want to check which one is right for kids.

Sudocrem has some anti-fungal qualities but won't stop thrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now