Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with a three week long cough

(6 Posts)
OneUp Thu 21-Nov-13 00:23:10

My nineteen month old has had a cough for three weeks. Should I take her to the doctor or wait it out? She's also quite wheezy.

HeffaFlump Thu 21-Nov-13 00:26:21

Id of taken her to the doctor after 3 days of a persistent cough .

Can you feel the wheeze ? (place hand on chest or back ) if you can feel a wheeze then its more than likely a chest infection

OneUp Thu 21-Nov-13 00:29:24

I can definitely feel the wheeze in her back, . She wheezes all day but she doesn't cough much in the daytime unless I tell her to (because she's starting to sound phlemy) but she seems to be coughing almost all night.

OneUp Thu 21-Nov-13 00:30:34

It's almost like she doesn't know to cough in the day time but she always sounds better after she has. It doesn't come out as a pretend sort of cough it sort of comes out like a normal one.

HeffaFlump Thu 21-Nov-13 00:32:37

Well id prop her up with a pillow tonight (stick a pillow under the matress if in a cot) & make an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow

OneUp Wed 27-Nov-13 22:39:58

Just thought I'd pop back any say that she doesn't have a chest infection but they have put her onto an inhaler so thank you for telling me to take her Heffaflump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now